News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (207: Cancelled: Did Not Sell) Unusual US Army Signal Corps TA-166/U - Ended 04-23-16

Started by TelePlay, April 16, 2016, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

$51.00
D/P

=================

EDIT:  Adjusted the guess to $51.99, using the $2 gap rule for this contest using the lower guess of $49.99 [/i]

$   49.99 - wds  ( 5 )
$   51.99 - Dan/Panther  ( 12 )
$   54.99 - Sargeguy  ( 9 )

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dan/Panther

The reason I bid $51.00, was because the closest was $49.00. I wondered about that .99.
Getting old is Hell. Why does that sound familiar ?
D/P

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 23, 2016, 12:09:56 PM
I think I will....Doug

Yes, Doug was the winner because the phone didn't sell. But we learned a lot about the wall toaster in its discussion topic.

Since it did not sell, this auction contest cancelled in its entirety and moved to the cancelled auction page.

Thanks to everyone for playing. My error in using a dog "worthlessthananybodywaswillingtopayforit" phone for the contest.

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on April 23, 2016, 06:25:29 PM
Yes, Doug was the winner because the phone didn't sell. But we learned a lot about the wall toaster in its discussion topic.

Since it did not sell, this auction contest cancelled in its entirety and moved to the cancelled auction page.

Thanks to everyone for playing. My error in using a dog "worthlessthananybodywaswillingtopayforit" phone for the contest.

Recount!

I believe Doug should get winning credit for accurately calling the auction.

In the future, no sale should always be an option.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on April 23, 2016, 06:42:33 PM
I believe Doug should get winning credit for accurately calling the auction. In the future, no sale should always be an option.

I can live with that. However, saying something won't sell is different that placing a dollar guess and since no one knows what the phone would have sold for, if at all, if started at $0.99, guesses below the listed starting price are meaningless. But, members (as many that want to for one auction) can offer a guess of "Won't Sell" and I will from this point on include them at the top of the score board for each contest. And if the phone or item does not sell, those who "Called It Right" by saying it won't sell will be added to the Brand New List at the bottom of the auction contest standings page.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4198.0   Scroll down to the bottom of the first topic

And to commemorate the beginning of this new list giving credit where credit is do for calling it right, Doug Rose is the first to take a place on that list.

Congratulations Doug . . .

19and41

I'd never seen a phone like that one.  It must've been a part of the DoD's scramble for materiel at the outset of the Korean war.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on April 23, 2016, 07:46:19 PM
I'd never seen a phone like that one.  It must've been a part of the DoD's scramble for materiel at the outset of the Korean war.

I hadn't either and that's why I thought being rare would sell for more than listed price. Unfortunately, its condition was the choke point.

Doug Rose

When everyone looks at these auctions, do you bid to be the winner? Just a question. I bid on the value I place on it and nothing more. If I had found it, the opening bid would have been $19.99 and hope that the novelty of a not that common phone would over rule the problems with the phones condition. Maybe a paint job could salvage it. If I held it in my hand at a flea market, this would be a $5 because of the condition. I do like the handset cords on, like a WE that is half curly and half straight that I cannot remember the name.....Doug
Kidphone

19and41

I had no idea these existed before seeing its'auction.  I made my guess based on how common the item was.  Also factored in was the knowledge that a bid from another party is all it takes to foster a competition and a irrationally high outcome.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Kidphone

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther