"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Candlestick switchhook wiring problems

Started by djtownsend, October 30, 2011, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

All,

I've been working on a WE candlestick phone for some time now but still having some difficulties.  I know my subset (634) is working correctly as I've used it w/ other phones.  I thought my dials were not working correctly but had them all fixed/callibrated.  Now I'm down to the wiring on the switchhook within the phone itself.  I once saw a picture of a wired switchhook and tried that configuration but am having no luck.  I am working on a 50AL phone w/ a 5H dial if that helps.  I've seen wiring diagrams w/ 2AA and AB dials but is there anyone that has experience w/ a 50AL and a 5H dial in it?  I'm guessing at this point and I always guess wrong. 

I'd appreciate any pictures anyone can provide of a wired switchhook so I can get on the right road in getting my candlestick phone functioning.  Thanks in advance.

Dan

Phonesrfun

The 50 AL candlestick never came with a 5H dial.  or any # 5 dial for that matter.  The #5 dial came out with the 302, and the H part stands for "Handset".

That being said, a #5 dial is always a choice when wiring a candlestick.   On the 5H dial, there is a terminal "R" that is simply not used.  The other terminals, Y, BK, BB, and W will be the same as the earlier dials.

The TCI document library is the best place to go for diagrams.  For instance

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2118&Itemid=11

if the hookswitch configuration is the same as yours.

The 634 subset will work just fine.  The 634 subset is an antisidetone subset and the 50AL is a sidetone phone.  All that means in practical terms is that the deskstand (candlestick) will only have 3 wires running to the subset instead of 4.  It will not have the 4th black antisidetone lead.  Simply do not connect anything to the BK terminal inside the subset.

-Bill G