News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Few Photos of my Collection - benhutcherson

Started by benhutcherson, September 27, 2008, 09:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Thanks Ben.  Good info.  One more question:  Could a modular jack be put on a butt set and the set be used as a regular phone (with no ringer, I assume).  If so, how would it be wired:  (Red and black from butt set to red and green in jack?)

On another note, have you ever found a source for the rubber base on an AE 40?  -Matt

benhutcherson

Matt,
Sorry, I'd fully intended to answer the AE40 base gasket question.

I have yet to find a source for them. There were some reports on here a while back of reproductions being available from somewhere, but I'm not sure if the source was ever located. The gasket on mine is serviceable, but definitely could stand to be replaced. If I run across replacements, I'll probably replace mine, but until then I'm leaving it as is.

It would certainly be possible to put a modular jack on a butt set. If I were to do that, I would probably open it up, and connect it internally. The red and green wires would connect where the red and black wires were. I would then save the original cord, as it would allow it to be returned to its original configuration really easily.

I make my own modular mounting cords for old phones all the time by taking standard modular patch cord(gray or white, usually), chopping one of the modular plugs off, stripping back the outer insulation, and putting spade terminations on the red and green wires(or the center two wires if the wires aren't color coded. I can often pick up a big bag of patch cords from yard sales for a dollar or two, so the cost of them is insignificant. I then buy insulation piercing spade lugs from Radio Shack-I pay about $2 for 24.

benhutcherson

Matt,

To better illustrate what I'm talking about, here's a series of photos illustrating what I'm talking about.

First, the making of a modular-to-spade cord from a common patch cord

benhutcherson

And, now, showing the installation in my Butt set.

First, I show the removal of the screws(two in the rubber grip, and one under the belt clip), followed by opening the case, and then connecting the cord.

HobieSport

Thanks Ben,  The pictures really do help. 
I  just picked up a cheap WE butt set from the 1970s in good shape to play around with.
-Matt

WesternElectricBen

Thats a really nice collection! Especially those old ones.
Ben