News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

US Navy Beige AE 50

Started by Doug Rose, October 27, 2018, 04:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am trying to figure out how to clean up the discoloring on this Navy AE 50. It is in really nice shape except for the spotting. Any ideas?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Stubbypylon

Doug have you tried Brasso?
Craig Stanowski

FABphones

I was looking at that listing earlier, wondering the same thing. Did you buy it?  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Yup...it just came on and I jumped at it. I was thinking Brasso as well as Craig stated, but until it is in my hands I can't tell how bad they are. Could just be a spill on it.

I just bought it, hoping it wasn't painted as I had no time to check out the pics after what happened with Peking Red 302 a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed.....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BEIGE-MONOPHONE-MODEL-50-THE-JUKEBOX-AUTOMATIC-ELECTRIC-TELEPHONE/183506871859

?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

FABphones

If it is a paint it was a good one. I managed to take a look at all the pics and checked out the vents, cable entry, all beige, couldn't see any black. I moved on as Beige not my colour, I have to be strict about my Black, Ivory, Grey theme. Shinies are already creeping in.  ;)

Let us know an update when it arrives.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

stub

Doug,
        It looks real to me , SWEET !!!!!! Great deal also !!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

thanks Stub....can't wait to get it in my hands to see if I can get the spots off of it. ....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Looks like a great deal to me Doug, if it cleans up. can't wait to see the finished product.
Gary

Doug Rose

thanks Gary....just the right place at the right time. Hopefully I will be able to bring it to its past glory.

I do like the different receiver lock. I do have the same lock on a Black AE50 and a different lock on a AE40.

I have a small collection of Navy/Military phones, this will fit in nicely.

Anyone know why AE chose Beige for the Navy AE50s. They do not turn up very often, so there couldn't have been a lot of them. Then again, they could have been destroyed by the stressful environment they were in, as these are not the most study phones....Doug

Kidphone

AE_Collector

Yes it's legitimate. Steve Hilsz distributed a lot of these from Navy ships. Beige wasn't a regularly marketed colour for 40/50's but AE seems to have made them in this colour for ships. And they never have the chrome banded caps that a coloured 40/50 would normally have. Mine needs work as well....will be checking to see what you do to polish it up.

Terry

Doug Rose

I  received the Navy AE 50 today and it is really really nice. No chips cracks or missing pieces. The stains look much worse in the auction pictures than in real light. I will work on it this weekend. After my last AE came in pieces, I was very happy to have this arrive in one piece. Seller packed it wonderfully, exactly as I asked him to. I have a NOS extend a cord that I have had for years that I finally found a phone for it.

This was an exceptionally lucky find....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Couldn't sleep this morning knowing what was waiting for me. Started at 5:30 AM. Over five hours of 400B sanding with Brasso ...my version of wet sanding. It is my first run, but I am happy with it. I will do more tomorrow. As it is now that I could display if I wanted to,

It is a working phone, but there is no ringer. It had the black Bell System box. connected to it. What is it?

I have a NOS AE extension cloth black cord for it, but I cannot put my hands on it. I have this switchboard grayish Brown cord until I find it.

I know this will not even make Find of the Month, but it is surely my find of the year. I am more than thrilled with it.

You don't see these every day...Doug
Kidphone

skyrider

Good job Doug, it looks great. A super find, it will do well in the FotM contest. Happy for you.

Bill

Pourme

Looking at the EBAY pics I thought it may clean up well. No way of knowing for sure but, my gut feeling was those weren't permanent stains. Good find!...I'm a bit jealous!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

thanks Bill & Benny....came out better than expected....the stains were deep! I think it was some kind of fading.....Doug
Kidphone