News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 281: Interesting WE Candlestick - #2 Dial & Accessories - Ended 06-10-17

Started by TelePlay, June 03, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Just listed about 3 hours ago in a 7 day auction with no reserve and starting at $17.28 is an interesting and uniquely set up WE candlestick with a #2 dial and an accessory kit including a note pad and pencil holder. The seller provided few good pictures and even those do not show the phone details well. But, since being listed, the phone has received 4 bids from 4 buyers pushing the price up to $45. This will be an interesting contest in the the basic phone has value but who best knows what the accessory kit will add, if anything, to the price when the auction ends?

NOTE:  We will use a $5 gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, keep your guess at least $5 away from prior guesses for this contest. All guesses, original and a single allowed revised guess if needed, must be submitted at least 24 hours before the auction ends.

The seller listed it as an "Candlestick Phone Antique Property of American Bell Telephone Co, steam punk" with the item condition as "Used" and " - - - " and with the auction listing description saying simply "For sale is a really nice antique candlestick phone. It looks as if it was from a lumber yard business but used very little it come with a side note pad with the lumber yards logo on the side pad. at some point someone had removed the cord and the existing cord is only decorative. -- There is only minimal wear and appears in very nice condition. -- This is a very nice phone "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162537553183

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$  248.00 - wds  ( 10 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $238.50
$  256.00 - andre_janew  ( 9 )
$  261.00 - poplar1  ( 2 )
$  277.00 - skyrider  ( 4 )
$  290.00 - tallguy58   ( 7 )
$  300.00 - Sargeguy  ( 3 )
$  310.00 - 19and41  ( 6 )
$  320.00 - Pourme  ( 5 )
$  325.00 - HarrySmith  ( 1 )
$  385.00 - nolan613  ( 8 )
$  404.99 - TelePlay  ( 11 )

Early Morning Auction Status

06-03-17      Listed      $    17.28
06-04-17      7 bids      $    61.00   (   7 bidders )
06-05-17    16 bids      $  112.50   (   8 bidders )
06-06-17    18 bids      $  128.49   ( 10 bidders )
06-07-17    19 bids      $  131.50   ( 10 bidders )
06-08-17    19 bids      $  131.50
06-09-17    19 bids      $  131.50
06-10-17    20 bids      $  158.05   ( 11 bidders )
06-10-17    13 bidders, 28 bids  $238.50  Ended at 12:00:01PM PDT

TelePlay

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on June 03, 2017, 06:37:28 PM
How do you know that it has a #2 dial?

Yes, poor photos but this one seems to show an external finger stop with a notch-less number plate. I may be wrong. I've asked the seller to send me a better picture from the side.

If, not, I will revise the title. I'm 90% on this as of this post.

unbeldi

Observation seems perfectly on spot.
Notice also that the number plate does not carry a 'Z'. While there was a short period from 1930 to end of 1931 when No. 4 dials had no Z,  they are more scarce than No. 2 dials.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on June 03, 2017, 07:36:56 PM
Notice also that the number plate does not carry a 'Z'. While there was a short period from 1930 to end of 1931 when No. 4 dials had no Z,  they are more scarce than No. 2 dials.

unbeldi, thanks, didn't know that.

Looking at the photos available, the paint on this phone is in very good to NOS condition.  Is that a rubber receiver shell and cap? The receiver cord is fake and the face plate looks a bit dicey but the photography is as well so who knows.

Seller hasn't gotten back to me but seems buyers are recognizing this for what it is. First time in a long time that I've seen 7 buyers each placing a bid in the first 8 hours of a phone being listed. Up to $61 as of this post. May sell for $61 but should end somewhere north of $100. No guesses yet so I guess this subject phone was the "experts" scratching their heads looking for a good guess.

cihensley@aol.com

Teleplay:

Looking closely at the picture you pointed out, I see the external finger stop. Agree a #2 dial.

Chuck

TelePlay

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on June 03, 2017, 11:09:34 PM
Looking closely at the picture you pointed out, I see the external finger stop. Agree a #2 dial.

Still waiting for the seller to send or post better photos.

Along those lines, I added this other phone to my watch list as an open auction starting at $135. Withing 2 hours, the seller cancelled that auction and did a BIN at $175, both plus shipping. Sold right of way, of course. Might have been a good deal for that seller, maybe not.

It's a similar stick to the contest phone in that it is a #2 dial and does not have a "Z" on the number plate and the plate is notch-less. However, the paint on this phone is not as good as the contest phone and the rare attachment is not included. Strange to see two similar sticks (what may be near identical dials) listed by 2 different sellers within hours of each other.

TelePlay

Seller both responded to my eBay message with photos and posted 3 much better photos in the listing. They have been added to the first post. They show several things, the number plate is notch-less and in very good condition, it is a 2AB dial and it seems to be a 51 AL stick. The transmitter looks to be in better condition in this photo, a 337, and the cup is also in good condition.

Still no guesses but 7 bidders have pushed the price up to $76 after one full day of the auction. Still no guesses, but I repeat myself.

HarrySmith

OK, I will start it out. This appears to be in pretty amazing condition. Looks to be all original finish.

$325.00
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill