News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Imperial 202 for $49

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 26, 2014, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I've wanted one of these for awhile, and now I've found one for a great price. This seller has been trying to sell this Imperial on eBay for a long time, always at around $70, with no success. He finally caught my attention with a $49 BiN offer. It's gonna need some love, some electrical work (seller says it doesn't work, I'm guessing it'll just be a conducter wired wrong), an open center finger wheel, one of which I have, and a subset. Won't be very much work to get this beautiful again.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131126221002?txnId=911978254003
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

That looks like a great deal, Christian!  The handset paint looks nearly perfect, and the dial plate looks pretty good, too.  Imperials have always been my favorites. 
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on February 26, 2014, 11:58:38 PM
That looks like a great deal, Christian!  The handset paint looks nearly perfect, and the dial plate looks pretty good, too.  Imperials have always been my favorites. 

I think this is a molded ivory handset instead of painted. Then again, paint doesn't fade as much as plastic does, and that handset has no fading at all.
Christian Petterson

rdelius

Painted handset-note the groves .Looks very nice

WEBellSystemChristian

Oh, I forgot that molded handsets didn't have grooves, thanks for reminding me. Just to clarify, Imperials were painted a gold colored paint, not plated actual gold, right?
Never mind, I now know they were painted through a little forum research.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I replaced the closed center fingerwheel with an open one, and hammered the finger stop flat (carefully, of course). I polished the base and handset to death (the base is so reflective, that when my room is dark, this phone is the only one I can still see light reflections in). I'm also thinking about replacing the handset cord, since the conductors are frayed apart.
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Looks great Christian. I would also replace the handset cord. A straight brown cloth cord would not look out of place....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 06, 2014, 06:04:12 PM
Looks great Christian. I would also replace the handset cord. A straight brown cloth cord would not look out of place....Doug

Thanks! I'm thinking about just ordering a coiled ivory cloth cord from OPW. I want this phone to stand out from my other 202s, while they are black and have straight black cloth cords, this one is two tone ivory/gold, with an ivory coiled cord.

If you're wondering what happened to the line cord, it was temporarily removed, because when I received the phone in the mail, every spade terminal was frayed off both cords (no wonder it didn't work), and each one needs replacement.
Christian Petterson

Andre91

That phone had been on eBay for a LONG time, I remember first seeing it listed at $89, then $79, then $69... I wasn't willing to pay that because of the damage to the plating on the cradle and the cords needing replacement, but $49 was reasonable I think.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Andre91 on March 06, 2014, 08:41:35 PM
That phone had been on eBay for a LONG time, I remember first seeing it listed at $89, then $79, then $69... I wasn't willing to pay that because of the damage to the plating on the cradle and the cords needing replacement, but $49 was reasonable I think.

Yeah, I wasn't ready to pay $70 for an Imperial, but when I saw it for $49, I took a chance on it. Other than the chipped off plating on some parts of the body, it polished up better than it looks in the picture.
Christian Petterson

BDM

Nice. Can these be re-plated in that color?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: BDM on March 09, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
Nice. Can these be re-plated in that color?

I'm assuming so, but I personally would like to keep what I can original.
Christian Petterson