News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just an Observation

Started by Doug Rose, November 24, 2013, 09:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Most everyone on the Forum has a handle. No problem good buddies. I don't like answering someone by their handle name. Sound a tad impersonal. Dear Resident..... How about signing your names to your posts. That way we get to know you. Also helps the decreasing memory in my brain drive...Doug
Kidphone

tallguy58

Sure, sounds good.

Cheers.......Bill
Cheers........Bill

twocvbloke

Personally I use a pseudonym as a form of online privacy, doesn't take a lot for someone to pick up a person's real name, location and age to start misusing that information, be it for stalking, data theft or impersonation, I'd rather not have that myself... :-\

Contempra

I have already written mine a few times then this is enough to know my name, however, the idea is not bad in itself except that it should not be obliged to write our name Everytime anyway!. ;)

WesternElectricBen

An easy way for members to do this is just to add it to their signature. Which can be activated in "profile area," ---for new members.

Ben

JohnInWI

I agree with twocvbloke.  I also want to preserve my privacy.

-John

zaphod01

Zaphod Beeblebrox had a special pair of sunglasses which turned completed black if he sensed danger. This enabled him to ignore the situation, no matter how grave it might be. I always liked that idea...

My zaphod01 name refers to this character in the science fiction novel.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Phonesrfun

I started on this forum not knowing whether I should use my real name or not, so I made up a handle which I have used ever since.  Somewhere along the way, I slowly started adding information to my profile such as my email address and the town I live in.  Nothing bad has come of that, so eventually I started putting my name in the signature line where it remains today.

However, as I said, I started off kind of reluctant to give out any information what so ever.  I have noticed that some have gone down the same path as I have by slowly feeling more comfortable and easing into letting more information out.

Others, however, may not feel as open as I do.  I have to respect that.  

There are some people on this forum who use handles and have no information in their profiles but seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience.  I sometimes wonder "who are those guys, anyway?"  In my way of thinking, I am benefitting by the information I am getting and it doesn't really matter who they are, except to satisfy my own curiosity.  After all, we don't know the names of the authors who wrote the words in the BSP's but we take their words with the utmost respect.

I will continue to use my name, and I like it when others do too, but when they don't, that is their business.  I would rather benefit from an active forum than have the anonymous ones leave because they don't feel welcome.

My two cents.
-Bill G

tallguy58

Y'know I've sent stuff and done business with many people on this board including sending them my address and nothing bad has become of it. We can either trust each other in life or live in fear and suspect everyone of evil intentions. I choose to tust people. I'm not stupid about it or naive enough not to believe that there are a-holes out there waiting to victimize you.  Just be smart.

Most people, I believe, are good at heart.

Cheers.......Bill
Cheers........Bill

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

thanks guys....that is why my handle is my name.  I think if you are uncomfortable signing your first name; don't. It is your preference. ..Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

As you can see by my handle I prefer to use my name as well.  But as Bill and others said, I respect those that prefer to remain anonymous.  However when people send a personal message for whatever reason, I would like to have them sign their name rather than just leave it with the user name.  I like to respond by addressing someone by their real name....but if they don't, I'll get over it. :)

ESalter

I've never hidden who I was on the forum and it's never been an issue.  Every so often I get an email from someone on here about payphones or whatever and they apologize for emailing me but my email address was visible on my forum profile.  If I didn't want to be "found" so easily, I wouldn't share my email address.  It's quite the opposite, I welcome contact from anyone in the hobby.

Another aspect...  People that have Facebook sometimes worry about hiding their personal info from anyone they don't know.  I have I think just my email and phone number listed, and I'm glad I do.  When the phone booth from TX was being shipped up here it turned out my phone number on the bill of lading was written down wrong.  Therefore the shipping company couldn't contact me to schedule the delivery.  They looked me up on Facebook and got my correct number from there.  So, chalk one up for social networking!

---Eric

Contempra

I've always said that if you have an affinity with certain members, privately they may have our real names... otherwise, we can certainly continue to speak freely on the forum. :D

Russ Kirk

Like Doug,  I also use my real name as my user name.  Mostly because I don't have the imagination to come up with phone related user name that is not already taken.

I am not worried so my about identity theft by someone just knowing my name. For someone to financially hurt me it will take a lot more work that knowing my name and address.  I have Googled myself and I'm amazed how much information I can find with just a small amount of information, albeit no secretive financial information. What people can find is my address, previous addresses, some of my relatives names and addresses, hobbies and many postings here.   Much of this same information can be gleemed from public records (real estate transactions and obituaries) and being my friend through some general conversations.

This information is available for most people that are active on the internet.  To keep people from finding out these items, one would have to be disconnected from the internet totally. 

Simply knowing a person's real name and city is not enough to steal an identity,  the thief will need to know other financial and personal details the average person will not share with a friend or neighbor.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI