"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German "Maingau" Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 17, 2014, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

I just received this phone today.  It mostly looks better in person than in the listing pics, except that the listing does not show the damage to the shell below the cradle.  The cradle and the piece which sits below it are both broken in half, and the glue which had been holding the pieces together apparently let go during shipment.  I bought this phone mainly because of the Fuld handset.  I actually already have a phone similar to this (forum link).  The other one is from the 1950s while this one is apparently war-time.  The transmitter and receiver elements are dated 1939 and 1940.  I didn't find any dates inside the phone other than a 1939 date printed on the wiring diagram.

The handset is in excellent condition.  As far as I am aware, these handsets are rather rare and possibly somewhat valuable.     

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Handset pictures.

unbeldi

That is the standard early handset of the company, perhaps until the mid 1930s, I think.
T&N and Fuld are the same company, but nevertheless a nice piece to get at that price!

Matilo Telephones

Ow, I like this one. It is a Maingau 38. (shallow casing, the lower rectangular part of the shell in later versions is higher, earting button to the side).

The handset is somewhat rare, but I think it has the same rarity as the phone itself. At least for this version.

The handset has an older version, with a more pronounced spine. That is more rare and more valuable.

Pity the number window is missing. The plunger is a standard part found on many German phones, so replacable.

I have its brother, by the way.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

I didn't know if these phones had actually shipped with that handset.

Larry

HarrySmith

Is this phone also an egg carrier?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Those are the ringer gongs.

Larry

HarrySmith

AHHH, yes. Thanks Larry, I should have seen that!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I have been working on this phone the past few days.  Since replacement cradles are not easy to find around here, I am trying to repair this one with super glue.  The handset is is excellent shape.  I am curious about a couple of emblems embossed inside the handset parts.  Can someone here identify them?  I am also attaching a better picture of the diagram inside the shell. 

Thank You

Larry

unbeldi

The left logo seems to read HRS, but I can't place it right now, although I have seen it I think.

The right mark is the logo for the German institute for material testing, MPA, and it identifies the manufacturer and the material of the piece that bears the mark, by the codes in the logo.

If I read your logo correctly it says "22"  and a sideways "S" ?

unbeldi

For example here is the MPA mark for a Siemens phone:

LarryInMichigan

The "MPA" emblem has a "32" on the top and a sideways "S" below.  The other one probably is "HRS", but I have no idea what that is.

Thank You

Larry

unbeldi

Ok, I found the picture where I have seen the HRS logo before.
It is on a German finger wheel which has the same logo.
The logo is by H. Römmler in Spremberg, Germany.

I have a 1938 list of MPA codes,  which lists this company as having code no. 32.

PS: alright so that matches your code.

The "S" stands for  phenol resin with wood filler, which is the typical Bakelite.  I think that is the same as "31" code that Siemens&Halske (34) used, as in my symbol.

unbeldi

This radio museum has this listing for Römmler:  http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=12661

Here is some company history:  http://www.sprela.de/history

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: unbeldi on October 06, 2014, 09:22:58 AM
The radio museum has this listing for Römmler:  http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=12661

I found that link just before you posted the message.  Now I know who manufactured my handset.

Thank You

Larry