News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What tune is your ringer playing?

Started by guitar1580, December 31, 2010, 05:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Well here's a pic I took before.  I may have to get a better one of the terminal strip when I get back home.

Yes, Kenny, they have a great look, get ya one.  They remind me of the British Siemens Brothers phones that I like so much.

Josh

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a straight line ringer to me.  I bought a Galion on ebay which showed "ST LINE" on the base, but I was disappointed to find a frequency ringer inside after it arrived.  I suppose that local phone companies switched ringers when they installed a phone.

Make sure that one lead from the ringer is connected properly according to the diagram, one side to L1 or L2 and the other to the capacitor.  The other side of the capacitor should be connected to the other side of the incoming line.  If it still does not ring, you can hold the clapper arm which it should be ringing to tell if it is trying to move.  If not, measure the DC resistance through the ringer to determine if it is open.

Larry

guitar1580

Dang, I just sent the dial off to Steve for servicing.  I may have to wait, unless I can safely jump the dial connections for testing the ringer.  If nothing else, I can measure the resistance of the ringer.

:-\Hmm, I may have even disconnected it a while back when I had so many old phones hooked up, they would scare a person to death when they all rang. 

Josh

guitar1580

Update on the North.  I got my dial back from Steve and it works great.  The phone functions and sounds good, but still doesn't ring.  The ringer shows resistance on a meter.  I connected it both ways mentioned on the schematic, but no ring.

Seems odd that it rang years ago, and then has only been stored on a shelf.  Still scratchin my head on that one.

Well if the weather ever breaks around here, I've been wanting to drive out to Pennsylvania to visit my old phone mentor friend.  I'm sure he will probably troubleshoot it and have it ringing within 5 minutes, like many of you guys would.

JP

Dennis Markham

Check your e-mail in a couple of minutes.  I'm going to send you a easy to read wiring order for your phone.  See if that helps.

~Dennis