News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Copper Kellogg Candlestick Receiver

Started by wds, February 03, 2011, 12:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I recently purchased this Kellogg Receiver, and when I took it apart to clean it, I noticed it was a bakelite coated metal shell.  It appears to be copper, but could be brass.  I thought this was pretty cool receiver - is this common for these old receivers?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I only have a few candlestick receivers, and I have not seen metal inside of bakelite.  The British GPO 150 candlestick has an all brass receiver cup though.  I wonder if some bakelite receivers had metal on the inside for added structural strength.  Perhaps this was done for payphones which would take more abuse.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Reinforced mouthpieces have steel or brass inside. I suspect this may be a reinforced receiver.
As Larry mentioned, Payphones also used reinforced parts.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

I have seen those Kellogg parts before.I have seen some that had the covering removed exposing the holes in the handle .I believe these were composition and not bakelite or hard rubber
Robby

Jim Stettler

I have a steel core for a KE reinforced mouthpiece. It appears to be the same technology.

The Back cover of 1 of Ron's "Scrapbooks"  has an ad for reinforced parts.

Jim

Back in the day collectors would sometimes burn the outer covering off these parts. It makes for an interesting novelty. They still show up at shows.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

I double checked the receiver, and your right - the metal shell has holes in it, and the black outer covering was pressed through the holes.  At first I thought it was just paint on the metal.  I don't think I'll be burning the outer covering off anytime soon.
Dave