News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Typical WE 302, 5H Dial, Other Dials May Be wired The Same.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 24, 2010, 02:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Typical 5H Dial wiring, other variations may work. Other dials may be wired the Same. Check for matching connection lettering.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I have been asked how to wire an AE dial to a 302. I have no idea. Is there a schematic like this beauty that Dan made? It would be very helpful if someone has one. Many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

I don't know where the wiring diagram may be, but the important thing to remember is that most AE dials mute the receiver by shorting it rather than opening it as WE does.

So in a 302 with AE dial you need to connect the brown-blue hookswitch wire and the white receiver wire to the same terminal on the dial.

Dial Pulse:
Brown-yellow hookswitch wire on outside terminal (1)
Black condenser wire and black handset wire on second terminal (2)

Shunt:
Brown-blue hookswitch wire and white handset wire on outside terminal (5)
Slate-red jumper wire from L1 on middle terminal (4)

Strap (2) and (3)

Some AE dials , such as the one furnished the US military, have both normally closed and normally open off-normal contacts. If you are using one of these, you can then maintain the WE design of opening the receiver when the dial is operated.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

May this help?
dsk

Doug Rose

thank you DSK and David.....Just what I needed.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

As wds pointed out (see link), it's also important to move the slate-red jumper wire from L1 to R on the induction coil. This will prevent the click when starting to dial and when the dial returns to normal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cccp68801

Can I hook up an AE dial into a 202 type telephone. I do not know what contacts match the AE dial except the pulse contacts:

Which AE terminal is equal to "R" on the WE dial, and "BB" on the WE dial, lastly which AE terminal matched "W" on the WE dial?

Any Help.
My neighbor has a 202 and he wants a AE type 24 installed as he doesn't which to pay the piper for a WE type 4 or type 5 dial.

CCCP 68801

dsk

I have one:

But it may be other contact sets on the AE 24 dials.  A picture of the contact side of the dila my help us to ientify this.

The picture is from this thread:  http://tinyurl.com/jk6oe8o

dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: cccp68801 on July 27, 2016, 02:02:49 PM
Can I hook up an AE dial into a 202 type telephone. I do not know what contacts match the AE dial except the pulse contacts:

Which AE terminal is equal to "R" on the WE dial, and "BB" on the WE dial, lastly which AE terminal matched "W" on the WE dial?

Any Help.
My neighbor has a 202 and he wants a AE type 24 installed as he doesn't which to pay the piper for a WE type 4 or type 5 dial.

CCCP 68801

A standard AE 24 dial is not a straight drop-in for a WECo No. 4, 5, or 6 dial.

As stated early in this thread, AE telephones used a different principle for off-normal dial operation.  They shorted the receiver and transmitter, by having the switch contacts close across them.  Western Electric used a switch to exclude the receiver from the circuit before any other contacts operated, but it also shunted the transmitter.

Therefore, the desk set needs to be substantially rewired.  5H dials are cheap and plentiful, and should not cost more than $15 alone, but an entire parts telephone can easily be obtained for the same price, and the cost can be recovered by selling the unwanted parts.
An AE type 24 dial is usually more expensive than a 5H.

unbeldi

Although I feel it would have been better to start a new thread for your topic, here are two diagrams, before and after installing an AE dial into a 202.

The first is the standard 202 circuit with a 4H or 5H dial.  In the second diagram, the off-normal contacts of the 5H are removed and replaced in blue color with those of a Type 24 dial, along with the corresponding wiring changes.

This does not reflect the exact geometry of the 24 dial, you have to work out the correspondence, but that should be rather trivial.  It is important that the contacts across the receiver close FIRST, to avoid popping sounds to the user's ear.

The line colors in the diagram correspond to those found in standard WECo sets with white being represented as gray.

DP = dial pulse contacts
ON = off-normal contacts
HS = hook switch

X = normally open switch
|  = normally closed switch

dsk

This is the other version of the same dial.

dsk