News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Crank Phone?

Started by AE40FAN, November 11, 2012, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

I got this Federal Crank Phone for about 20 bucks including shipping on Ebay.  I don't know anything about it other than the fact it is really cool looking inside and out.  What were these used for? Internal parts date at 1947.  Also, the cords are badly frayed...what would my options be on how to replace them or can they be restored?

AE_Collector

Since there were still a lot of Magnoto systems in North America in the 40's and 50's. manufacturers came out with Magneto telephones that were at least somewhat more modern than the wooden wall magneto phones that we usually associate with Magneto service. This would be my guess as to what this phone was for. Similar to the Leich 901 bakelite Magneto phones, it fit a need. Desk phones were more modern than wall phones.

Terry

G-Man

These sets were used extensively by the Bell System (and others) immediately after WWII on the few magneto lines that they still had in service.

They often had a mixture of parts as shown by the army surplus EE-8 induction coil, magneto, Western Electric ringer, etc. If I recall correctly, the handsets often had combinations of Connecticut and Western Electric elements.

I think  BSP's are in the TCI library for these sets.

G-Man

Also, what are the markings on the 4-pronged plug?

If it indicates Bell System/Western Electric, it may  have been originally installed by a BOC though there were only enough connections to allow for bridged ringing and the necessary battery connections.

AE40FAN

It's a bell four prong plug adapter.  I'm clueless when it comes to magneto phones and how they operate.  Cool piece in really nice shape with the exception of the cords.  I am starting to have doubts about being able to find replacement cords for this...

G-Man

Quote from: AE40FAN on November 11, 2012, 09:57:34 PM
It's a bell four prong plug adapter.  I'm clueless when it comes to magneto phones and how they operate.  Cool piece in really nice shape with the exception of the cords.  I am starting to have doubts about being able to find replacement cords for this...

It's very doubtful you will be able to find cords for it but you can contact the outfit up in Canada that took-over Odis LeVrier's machines to see if they are willing to custom manufacture new ones for your set. 

sebbel

I have 3 or them with the cables on. What cable are you looking for? Also if anyone wants one. Let me know.

Seb.

AE_Collector

Has anyone ever asked OPW if they can redo the outher covering on an old cord? Usually the inner conductors are okay and a new outer cove would be quick and easy. Normally it probably wouldn't be worth the postage both ways and extra fooling around but in the case of a cord combination that OPW doesn't make this might be a good way to make it like new.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 11, 2012, 10:32:49 PM
Has anyone ever asked OPW if they can redo the outher covering on an old cord? Usually the inner conductors are okay and a new outer cove would be quick and easy. Normally it probably wouldn't be worth the postage both ways and extra fooling around but in the case of a cord combination that OPW doesn't make this might be a good way to make it like new.

Terry
Hi Terry:

I have used this trick a few times, and it seems to work well. When an old cord begins to unravel, or when it has a small bad spot in the middle, I have several times saved the cord by spreading out the threads over the bad spot, then dripping crazy glue over that spot. It works to prevent further unraveling, and lasts for a very long time. JUst an idea I thought I would pass along to others!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

This  has partly been covered  other threads, for tiny cords you may use the cover from a paracord. Other has Solved this by using shoelaces, since i like it to look well used, I change the laces in my boots before it is completely worn out, an that works, but I have to use boots a lot more to cover the demand, and of course, I have to choose laces in the right style :D

dsk

AE40FAN

Hi Sebbel,

I am looking for a cloth Handset and also a cloth line cord for a Federal Crank.  The ones on mine are beyond repair.
Do you have these?  How much are you looking for?  Feel free to message me.

sebbel

Yes i have both will PM once I have pictures.
Seb.

Doug Rose

I do think the Federal Cranks are very cool. it looks like yours has the textured finish paint job. I have seen them textured and smooth regular coat as well.

I do have the wall phone version that is really my favorite. The paint was horrible, so I stripped it all off and shined it to a chrome like finish.

Doug
Kidphone

sebbel

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2012, 10:43:05 AM
I do think the Federal Cranks are very cool. it looks like yours has the textured finish paint job. I have seen them textured and smooth regular coat as well.

I do have the wall phone version that is really my favorite. The paint was horrible, so I stripped it all off and shined it to a chrome like finish.

Doug

You say the wall version. Those Federal phones, At least on those I have, are convertible from wall to desk. You can flip the cradle in either direction to 'repurpose' the phone.
Seb.

Doug Rose

Seb...you might be right! I never noticed it before. Sorry for the bad pics...Doug
Kidphone