News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

If anyone wonders why I also collect trains.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 16, 2009, 03:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Wow, I am very impressed. If your son at sixteen has this much patience to work in such intricate details, imagine what he will be able to do in a few more years.

Jorge

bwanna

add me to the list of train lover. n-scale layout in progress. nice work by your son mcheath, good to see a young person interested in something that takes imagination & skill!
donna

McHeath

The lad has done a pretty impressive job on his N scale layout.  I even was a naysayer, figuring there was no way that he could make the train climb those grades, but it works fine.  The large tree off to the left is a Giant Sequoia, his layout is set up in the Sierra Nevadas to our East.  No idea how many hours he's put into it, probably in the thousands, this layout was started about 2 and a half years ago as nothing more than a simple oval track run on a flat plywood board. 

Dan/Panther

For display collectibles I collect Marx, O gauge. For layout, I prefer the N gauge, because so much can be put in such a small space.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

That's why we got him the N scale, it does not take up a lot of space.  Plus I confess to also a secret plan to develop his fine motor skills and patience, just to put a car on the track takes a bit of time and work. 

I had an O scale as a kid, and then a HO scale as a teen, but it was not all that elaborate and my son has far surpassed my skills level. 

foots

Model trains have never appealed to me much but I have seen some really nice set ups and I do admire the attention to detail, skill, and time that go into these displays. McHeath, that boy of yours has some real talent and creativity, and a lot more patience than most teenagers normally have. That setup is really impressive.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

DavePEI

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 18, 2009, 02:27:13 AM
Ben;
I'll be visiting you on the Train website, I signed up tonight. Thanks for the link.

Is it a coincidence or do all collectors that have one interest share similar interestd with other collector. For instance, Ben and myself both enjoty Vintage radios, Phones, and now I find ourt trians also. Next i'll find out he's an amatuer Titanic buff/ Historian....
D/P
I think you guys are Loco :) Actually, I can't really fault you - my brother has collected trains since he was young, and has been a rail historian for some 40 years, one of the founding members of the Smith's Falls, Ontario Rail Museum. One of his favorite activities over the years has been documenting the narrow gauge rails on PEI, as well as the stations, and publishing many articles. His latest project is doing a scale model of the original Murray Harbour station using material printing technology from the original plans. Incredible detail!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

I'm guilty here also.  I've liked trains as far as I can remember, same as telephones.  I collect lots of railroad real railroad stuff.  I have a good sized collection of locomotive parts, signals, etc, etc.  If anyone has interest in seeing photos of anything along those lines, let me know. 

I am also a prototype HO scale modeler for myself and sometimes for others.  I custom build and paint locomotives and freight cars to look as accurate to the real thing as I can.  I don't have space for an actual layout, so I just have HO models laying around everywhere.  Here are a couple examples of locomotives I've painted, and if you're REALLY intrigued, the link is to a Facebook page with a lot more pictures of my models at various steps during their build process.

http://tinyurl.com/aazung8

---Eric

Aaron W. Gonya

ESalter

Very nice!  I've always been a sucker for geeps on ALCO trucks like that.