News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I bought a Bell phone truck!

Started by Greg G., April 24, 2010, 08:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I bought a Bell Phone Truck a few years ago, but mine is a little bigger than that!

1963 Corvair Rampside from Bellsouth.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Very nice, Harry..

Would it have an insert in the bed, or something to hold the phones?

I take it, it has the 2.4 leader Flat 6, with a 3 on the tree, or a 4 on the floor?

Ben

HarrySmith

Thanks Ben!
There is a discussion on it here somewhere. Yes, it is the air cooled flat six as all Corvairs with a 4 speed. Corvairs did not come with a column shifter. Rught now it is sitting and rusting. Someone stole the drivetrian from where I used to work while I waiting for my shrouds to come back from powder coating. Now I need to save some $$$ for another one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 22, 2014, 10:57:16 PM
Thanks Ben!
There is a discussion on it here somewhere. Yes, it is the air cooled flat six as all Corvairs with a 4 speed. Corvairs did not come with a column shifter. Rught now it is sitting and rusting. Someone stole the drivetrian from where I used to work while I waiting for my shrouds to come back from powder coating. Now I need to save some $$$ for another one.

I'l have to look for it. For some reason I thought they had column shifters, must be other Chevy vans..

Too bad about it sitting, but how did somebody steal the drive train puzzles me..

Ben

Lewes2

<laughing> When I saw the thread topic, I was really interested, being a "car" person. 

I really thought you meant something like one of these:  http://attpioneervolunteers.org/chapter-101/vintage-telephone-company-trucks/.

Chuck

WEBellSystemChristian

The '53- '56 Ford F100s are pretty close to my favorite truck of all time, and the phone trucks are my favorite variation of truck of all time, so the truck in that picture is one of my new favorite trucks!!! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford