News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I used to blow show for an older woman who lived up the street, but that was with the snowblower we mount to the garden tractor every Winter. That tractor is pretty slow to begin with, but add a 200 pound auger and 50 pounds of offset weights to the back. It took me 15 minutes just to make it down the driveway and up the street to her house.

I keep my truck too nice to have the guts to mount a snow plow to it. The only questions that go through my head about it all day are "Is the wax I applied in November still holding up?" and "Should I try going to the car wash today, or will the line still be too long?" ;D ::) I don't use my truck as a workhorse at all. Guys just don't understand that where I work.

Here's how it looked when I got out of work. Poor truck! :'( I did have fun driving down the highway, watching chunks of snow on the hood catch the wind and splatter against the windshield! 8)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

This weeks pictures from Norway:

dsk

twocvbloke

Might snow here this weekend, also might rain, so, who knows, the weathermen sure don't!!  ;D

HarrySmith

I see some pretty heavy snow & cold in the Northeast US but we are headed back up to 80 degree weather here in South Florida. Punxatawnee Phil predicted 6 more weeks of WINTER weather this morning!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

K1WI

12 ° and " fresh breezes "   Beautiful day at the beach .
Andy F    K1WI

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 02, 2018, 01:25:44 PM
Punxatawnee Phil predicted 6 more weeks of weather this morning!

He's smarter than the average groundhog! He will never be wrong with that prognostication!

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

February 3rd, 9 am looking east from the second story of a hotel toward Lake Michigan (behind the white building in the upper left - 10° F and just beginning to snow. Describes desolate miserably well.

19and41

Woke to rain this morning.  Just heard a big long thunderclap and it's 34 degrees.  Very strange.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Mountain and woods images are always great but having grown up on the west shore of Lake Michigan, I can say the lake can take on dozens of personas depending on time of year and weather conditions. These were taken Friday morning, 2/2/18, on a cold but clear day.

Wave action creates the huge icebergs on the shore line and coat anything sticking up with layer upon layer of ice. The ice is brown because the waves also pick up sand from the bottom and mix it with the water, layer after layer. The shore iced sits on the bottom so unlike icebergs, has more than 50% of its thickness above the water line.

This was a calm day and the small ice cubes forming on the surface just float. By Saturday afternoon with a east wind snow storm, the cubes all blew into shore and that grey layer was indistinguishable from the sky (no pictures worthy of being taken).

Early morning images of the lake are always best. Glad I got these, a day later we had 6-8" of snow and most days cloudy. These are just a calm, clear winter day on Lake Michigan. Living on the lake lets one see it all. Thought I'd share this cold winter day shimmer.