"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early AE 80 Handset finish

Started by ghud, June 16, 2014, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghud

Hi All,

First of all this is my first post and I would like to thank Dennis for being so helpful, also to all you guys/gals for having great skills and passion for these pieces of history. This forum is amazing....

Yes I'm addicted and it happened quickly..... In 3 weeks I now have 6 AE 80's and one 90!!

I bleached a 1962 80 gardenia white at 40% 2X's, dyed a 1960 80 yellow handset cord with trans tint lemon yellow mixed with goo gone pro great success and now working on a black one. The pink is waiting!!

My 1959 Black 80 is complete matching phone and the soft plastic/tenite handset is probably breaking down as I can see small dots, almost like a texture in the areas that were in contact with the human hand/mouth, acids I guess. I've sanded 400-2000 and after Novus 2 applied with my Rotex very little improvement except for a very smooth surface. Haven't gone to a high polish yet, just wondering if I should....

My question is how aggressive should I sand this handset? Start at 220 grit? Will this work? Should I try a solvent dip? Difficult because Cali hates chemicals..... but I think I can still get Toluene. And I hate to say it, but should I pick up a ABS/hard plastic 6 hole/center hole? And call it a day? I just don't know.

Again thanks for all the info here, I would have been kinda lost without it.....

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum! Could you post a picture of the handset? By your description it almost sounds like Bakelite and not soft plastic. I know the 50s black 500 sets had Bakelite handsets, but I'm not too well versed on the early AE 80s.
Jonathan

paul-f

Welcome to the support group, ghud.

I had the same question as Jonathan.  The handset sounds like Bakelite and you may want to try dying or staining the handle to get an even color.

There are a lot of topics on the forum with suggestions.  Here is a starting point.
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1259.0

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE40FAN

Earlier AE80's had bakelite handsets.  Overtime with use they develop a marbled affect.  I notice this seems to be notorious with both AE80 and 500 bakelite handsets.  Almost impossible to find either without even the slightest amount of "marbilization".  I have been fortunate enough to acquire an AE80 with a bakelite handset in almost perfect condition.  Also, just recently I finally acquired an all matching '56 500 black desk set with an almost perfect bakelite handset.   

ghud

Thanks for replies,

Jonathan, I took a couple of pics and they don't capture the subtleness of the pattern.

Paul, thanks for chiming in, can you tell me the difference between bakelite and tenite. I'm familiar with bakelite as I've collected pieces other than phones and have worked them, but I'm new to tenite. I've read the material supplied by Eastman. I will at this point I will renovate it as if it was bakelite, dying will be the last resort.

AE40

"Marbilization" as you describe it reminds me of faux marble, which I've done, but this pattern reminds me of snake skin, but again very small and subtle. No raised surface just embedded into the surface/material. Do you think I can sand it out?

Did AE make a 5 hole/no center hard plastic caps?

No matter how I go I will document the process.

Jorge, this is a shout out...............

Thanks and anyone reading this thread please come on in......... Hud

AE40FAN

Ghud:

Handset is not jetblack correct?  Some areas are lighter than black creating a patterned affect correct?  Very common issue with bakelite handsets.

ghud

AE40FAN

You are exactly correct. I believe that the original top layer was gone/compromised by age/UV by the time I got it. It was like a build up, but once I sanded it the same pattern remained, but now the surface was smooth. I did very light sanding maybe 10 passes with 400, then the same with 1000 finally 2000.

Should I perform the Simichrome test?

The phone is date matching so I would like to keep it that way.

What are my options again? If dying is one of them, what type of Dye? Aniline?

Would paint be a sin? If so I can't see getting a gallon of Polane. Maybe some other paint, One Shot in my airbrush? Finish with a gloss coat?

I just don't know

ghud

OK.... You've asked, but this will be the first time I have ever uploaded pics! Crossed fingers

jsowers

This is only one person's opinion, but I think it looks fine as is. I wouldn't consider paint or dye because they can't be undone. Your pictures turned out fine. Could you post one of the handset on the phone so we can see how different it looks from the base? Bakelite is what it is, and I think most collectors have come to expect it to be a little dull. It doesn't need to shine like a new penny. It has a sort of sheen in the pictures that looks OK to me. The Bakelite being a little dull is part of the charm of the phone, so to speak.

I agree that you need to keep the phone as original as possible since you said it was date matching (or as matched as you can determine on an AE).
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on June 17, 2014, 09:08:57 PM
possible since you said it was date matching (or as matched as you can determine on an AE).

You can say that again..

Ben

ghud

Jonathan,

I like your opinion it saves me time, I could just hit it with TR3/F21 and call it a day. Currently the Black one is disassembled and 2000 grit sanded base to touch up little nicks. I'm waiting for my pads from Lake Country to come in so I can polish it out with the Rotex. But as soon as I get them I'll finish it up and take pics, inside and out....

I need to find a SL for it as it showed up at 33~. Anyone got one? Right now putting the finishing touches on the Yellow one and starting work on the 1961 Pink.

I need to get something to get me off of this addiction.......... Help!

Hud

HarrySmith

There is no cure for Phonitis. You are in the grips of a progressive, incurable disease! The only way out is to send all your phones to me and delete this forum from your computer!

AE straight line ringers are fairly hard to find. If you search "frequency ringer" on the forum you will find some methods to adapt them to work. Resistors, cutting the "reed" and changing clapper weight are a few.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ghud

Well Harry,

Will you let me renovate them first, so I can get some relief......

SL's;  Right now my go to option is to buy parts phone. I do try to find a base that is of the same code out as the one I'm working on or the other one I will be working on.. I've been successful at that so far.

Just repaired a clapper last night, it was loose in the mount hanging down. So I applied a little heat, MAP gas, flux and some acid solder, I wasn't trying to solder it, just knocking the plating down a bit to create a "tooth" so the JB Weld could bond to the clapper shaft and base. Works fine, installed it, just killed another party line phone.

My hand hurts from Nouvs #3, then #2, then #3 on the Pink AAE80 Faceplate and as Jorge said "keep those picture coming".

So when the Godfather of AE80's commands, I shall comply..

Hud

JorgeAmely

Once in a while you can find ebay sellers of AE80 SL ringers.
Jorge