"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Type 60 - Dialling makes other phones on the line ring

Started by Canuck, February 17, 2013, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Canuck ,
             Your phone looks like a AE 60 Wall Phone with the magneto and crank handle removed- Old -Time Telephones! by Mr. Myers, page 75 and 159-( with local-battery isolation circuit ). I didn't know if it was ok to use his pic out of his book!! My pic is AE Circular No. 1712 A , 1953,  pg 10  .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Canuck

Wow I am amazed with all the information I am getting thanks everyone. Any idea on the age?

Doug Rose

quote:
"I learned to keep Western electric with its  own kind and Automatic Electric with its own kind.... they don't always like each other when used together!"

John..... I am not on agreement with that statement at all. I have had a WE, SC and an AE all wired and working on a POTS (hate that term) line in the past with no issue whatsoever.

Doug
Kidphone

G-Man

Lest other collectors are deterred from connecting instruments from different manufacturers on the same line, I'm not aware of any significant problem other than the usual caveats such as ringer load, etc., especially since it was a common practice amongst most independent telephone companies.

The two main remedies for "bell tinkle" are the adjustment of the bias spring, or to reverse the polarity of the line. In some cases, it may necessary to perform the reversal at the individual instrument's line cord.

If the problem is from an individual instrument and it cannot be resolved, then perhaps that particular instrument should be the one to be segregated and not the rest.

Canuck

Ok I guess I am back to square one  >:( the phone is back to ringing the other phones when dialed tried reversing it again but no luck *&^%^I(**(()

LarryInMichigan

The other ringers on the line probably need to have their ringers/bias springs adjusted.  Dialing a phone causes voltage changes on the phone line which looks to a ringer alot like a ringing voltage.

Larry

Canuck

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Canuck on February 22, 2013, 09:44:53 AM
The other phones on the line are all new cordless phones. ???

Those new electronic phones can be very sensitive to noise (fast voltage changes) on the line.

Larry

G-Man

Quote from: Canuck on February 22, 2013, 09:44:53 AM
The other phones on the line are all new cordless phones. ???
There is a remote possibility that reversing the wires at each affected extension would resolve the problem, but it is not likely since most of today's electronic telephones are not designed to meet accepted industry standards.