Author Topic: Now I'm REALLY miffed!!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Jester

• FRED, my 10/55 Yellow 500
Now I'm REALLY miffed!!
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
I know, after nine years of dealing with ebay, you are going to run into things that make you think  >:(, but this one just topped that!  I found these two last night, & knowing they would catch some attention at some point, I placed a SERIOUS bid early(within 30 minutes of auction start), hoping this seller would be honorable & at least contact me to see my intentions before caving into the first easy offer.  I get an email at 6:45 this evening, barely 24 hours into the auction, to inform me that my bid has been cancelled!  I don't care what he has or what it's listed for, his name is MUD with me, and I'll NEVER bid on one of his auctions again!!http://tinyurl.com/n8vhsk
Stephen

Offline bwanna

Re: Now I'm REALLY miffed!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
so what, this guy got a higher offer "under the table". i don't think that is fair. once an item is listed the seller should not be able to remove it. >:(
donna

Offline McHeath

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
As I endlessly rant to perfect strangers sitting on bus stop benches, "E-Bay is not a real auction, it breaks all the rules of real auctions, it's like a "reality" TV show like Survivor!"

But alas it's the only game in town.  I saw these phone yesterday and thought they were a pretty interesting deal, but sadly you fell victim to the great E-Bay scam as we all do every so often.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:04:31 AM by McHeath »

Online Dennis Markham

• VintageRotaryPhones.com
  • Administrator
    • VintageRotaryPhones.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
Stephen, they were on my radar too.  I'm still not sure of the color on the one.  I think it may be a yellowed Light Gray, but it appears to have a neutral gray handset cord.  It COULD have been dark Gray.  

I was high bidder on a beige Mushroom phone the other day too.  It was ended just the same way.  It was early in the auction.  I didn't expect to be highest bidder but there's always hope that it will fly under the radar.  I e-mailed the seller afterward and told him/her that I hope they got $200-300 for it.....I never got a response.

http://tinyurl.com/pl6gsf

These 554's that ended today would have been fun to see.  Both appeared to be soft plastic with the wide hooks and 7 series dials.

Offline Jester

• FRED, my 10/55 Yellow 500
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »
I saw that beige U the other day, too, Dennis.  I remember a seller used to state some scripted reason an auction was ended in the past.  They don't even do that these days.
Stephen

Offline McHeath

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »
Think of the outrage if real auctions did this E-bay trick:

"That's 2550 for the early Monet charcoal of a girl with flowers, do I hear 2600?  Oh wait, what's this, oh we just got an under the table offer and are canceling the auction, sorry folks."

Offline bwanna

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:53:38 AM »
mcheath, you're right that scam wouldn't go over at a live auction.

i was at an auction where the auctioneer was "in cahoots" with a buyer. he seemed to be very near sighted,  the only person he could see bidding was "his" buyer. consequently that person won certain items at a very low price. he even called her "mom." >:(

another scam i have heard of is a phony bidder in the crowd, running up the bids. :o
donna