News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever been so wrong on an auction it's embarassing ?

Started by Dan/Panther, November 21, 2009, 12:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I saw this auction for a dark beige 500 that had hard wired cords, and looked like a soft center dial. Only one small top photo.
The picture was not real good, but I was sure I had found a Rose beige soft centered hard wired 500 for $10.00.
Well it came yesterday, 1974 P.O.S.
D/P >:( >:( >:( >:( ::) ::)

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

That's happened to me before, but not with telephones.  Sometimes you wind up with junk, but there's no shame in it, because sometimes you score something really nice for not much money.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
you are right, I think I've come out even or ahead more timesa than on the losing end.
D/P
I can at least use it for parts if nothing else.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 21, 2009, 12:45:45 PM
I saw this auction for a dark beige 500 that had hard wired cords, and looked like a soft center dial. Only one small top photo.
The picture was not real good, but I was sure I had found a Rose beige soft centered hard wired 500 for $10.00.
Well it came yesterday, 1974 P.O.S.
D/P >:( >:( >:( >:( ::) ::)

Picture? 

If you're going to part it out, I'm looking for a beige housing and handset for a 52 WE 500.  Mine was converted to mod, but the base and all the inner parts are mostly the original 52 parts.  Dial is from 59.  As long as yours is a hard-wired handset and cover, I'm not going to be fussy about the year.  The cover I have now is notched modular from 65, the handset is a modular 70s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
Upon closer inspection, the insides are marked 1964, W.E. However the base is marked Bell System Property, Not for sale, and the Case and handset have no markings at all. Just the small squares where manufcaturer would be written.
The hold downs do not have the brass inserts they are just threaded into the plastic. It seems ITT, Or Stromberg Carlson case, that someone put onto the WE base ? The case is near perfect, with a lot of gloss and very few scratches.
D/P

Dan

Hey Brinybay, I thought colored We500's didn't come about until 1953. Could your phone be a black base with beige conversion? If so you would want to look for 1959 parts
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on November 21, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
Hey Brinybay, I thought colored We500's didn't come about until 1953. Could your phone be a black base with beige conversion? If so you would want to look for 1959 parts

That is apparently the case.  I think someone else said the color code on the dial is ivory, so this phone has been converted in a couple ways.  But the dial bezel is beige, so I was just going to find a beige cover and handset to go with it.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Mc

I just got one that was advertised from the late 50s.  I had the potted network from 59, ringer from 59, mouth piece from 59, ear piece from 61 and a dial mechanism but the handset and plastic shell from 1982 withfully modular connections not shown in the pictures.   Funny, the relatively recent dial mechanism (which is full of plastic) was gummed up and needed cleaning in order to work correctly. The seller gave me a full refund on it though, which was nice.

Dennis Markham

That dial is color coded 50 (Ivory).  I notice that your ringer is a C2A.  It's an earlier ringer, obviously by the date stamp.

McHeath

Welcome Jim Mc, that was certainly good of the seller of that 500 to refund your money.  You never know what will actually show up when you buy online, one of my most disappointing phones was a very early Trimline in moss green that was all original dated but smelled like an old ashtray. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 23, 2009, 10:36:18 PM
That dial is color coded 50 (Ivory).  I notice that your ringer is a C2A.  It's an earlier ringer, obviously by the date stamp.

What I think I'll do instead of finding another beige body, is put this puppy back to it's "period correct" look, i.e. black base, dial bezel, and handset.  If only I could find just the parts w/o robbing a perfectly good phone.
- Mike Row
e