News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 H3

Started by winkydink, October 26, 2011, 11:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I am working on refurbushing a Western Electric 302.  This one is something I have not encountered before.

The switchhook has 6 wires

The ringer has 4 wires

The shell is marked H3

I have done some looking and I think this is a party line phone.  My question is, can this be adapted for single line use, and is there a COLORFUL straight forward wiring diagram.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Phonesrfun

Remember that Western Electric made a lot of different models for various applications.  Yours is a 304 used in automatic toll ticketing on party lines.  See Paul F's site, and scroll down to the model 304:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

The 304 is just as serviceable as a 302, and will work nicely.  In reality, the 304 was more versatile than the 302, since it could handle automatic number identification on party lines, where the 302 could not.

When they made the 300 series wall phone, they did not make a 352, but rather went straight to a 354.  All 300 series wall phones had the split ringer coil and the "M" tap on the induction coil.

In fact, the split ringer winding and the "M" tap on the induction coil were later incorporated into the revised and upgraded circuitry on all model 500 sets.  This allowed them to have fewer models.  It cost a few more cents for the induction coilw with the extra tap, and the split ringer coil, but they way more than made up for it by not having to stock and make so many different models.

-Bill G