News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

Jim Stettler

I remember in the early days of phone menus you could dial * (010) and  #(011){If I remember correctly}.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Lee David Day

Quote from: Lee David Day on January 25, 2017, 12:31:19 PM
  I replied yesterday that I have 2 vintage phones hooked up and working
  in my home. The WE 211 over my work bench, and a yellow 500 in the
  basement laundry/man cave area.

EDIT:  Images rotated

andre_janew

Try again.  They're still sideways!

EDIT:  Rotated images

19and41

Sometimes the embedded data keeps doing that despite physically rotating the image.  I have been able to correct it using the edit feature accessed by left clicking the thumbnail image.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Has anyone figured out why they call them "Smart Phones"??

John will fix it, he fixes everything.

Terry

TelePlay

The problem with smart phones is the m meta data includes a line that records how the camera was being held when the photo is taken. The image you see in the topic are thumbnails of the full sized image. SMF does not read the meta data and thus the image is sideways.

If you click on the sideways image, the SMF software as it enlarges the image to full size reads the meta data and rotates the image as needed.

To fix this, the image has to be opened in image editing software, rotated and saved. The software has to recognize the rotation and clear the meta data rotation and if not, the enlarged thumbnail will be over rotated.

TelePlay

Downloaded the full sized images, rotated them in my really old software that also gets rid of the meta data and post them above:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=102.msg181188#msg181188

Below is a image of part of the meta data for the yellow phone on the table next to the chair, the part that shows the software expanding the thumbnail how to rotate the image (in this case CW 90 degrees - red box).

Also attached below is a pdf file, a print out of everything in the meta data that was attached to these images taken with an iPhone 5.

Also attached is a pdf file of the rotated image saved with my old software that strips out meta data, it was written before such data came to be. It is about 40kBytes smaller than the full meta data pdf file.

As a test, I ran the original file through BatchPurifier which took out all the meta data. I uploaded that image. The thumbnail was sideways but when I clicked on it to enlarge the image, the meta data did not exist so the expanding software had no instruction on how to present the image and as such, the enlarged image was still sideways. So, the proper steps would be to rotate the image and then strip the meta data allowing both the thumbnail and the enlarged image to show correctly.

Lee David Day

:)  Thank you for turning my photos upright. I'm still not sure how you
did it, but thank you again.
DDay

Lee David Day

TelePlay
Could you please e-mail the PDF File on how to turn the photos;

aileenlucyday@yahoo.com

I'm totally out-to-lunch with this stuff. I have many old phones that don't
work, and if I ever hope to get them working I'm going to have to learn
how to use my computer. Thanks for all your help so far.
DDay

andy1702

Back on topic, I use old phones all the time. And the older they are the more likely I am to choose that one to pick up. At the moment I'm trying to figure out a way to connect to C*net using a candlestick without a dial. I saw a video on youtube of somebody doing it with some sort of speech recognition, but unfortunately it didn't explain how he set it up.  :(

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

dsk

I would recommend irfanview free and easy to use I have version 4.37

dsk

19and41

Here is a pre cleanup pic of the 9/56 phone i'm currently using.  I did a resize and rotate to see if the windows editing software would do the trick...

It worked just fine.  I left clicked the thumbnail pic, hit edit, hit resize and reduced it and hit rotate, then the direction, then save.

----------------------

EDIT:  the image was taken using a Panasonic DMC-LS75 on November 15, 2016  5:37 pm (not a smart phone adding rotation data). The meta data does not include a rotation element so the image displays as take. There is not rotation correction information in the meta data. Any imaging program could be used to rotate this image. It is too small to expand so what you see is what you get.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

19and41

The original image was upright, I rotated it right to test it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Then I opened the image in irfanview pressed the letter L on the keyboard, saved and uploaded.

dsk