Author Topic: My Local Exchange, and what's yours?  (Read 10485 times)

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
Re: My Local Exchange, and what's yours?
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
I don't have any pictures myself, but Bob Freshwater's site (where your pic above seems to have come from) does, the pictures are drawings though depicting the Brighton, Figured and Lettered dials:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial1.htm
(scroll down a bit to the B, F and L images)

Offline david@london

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
.....thanks.

this would seem to be the diagram for the above photo.

i had not seen these before.

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Yep, that's one of them, finding one like that now though might be a bit tough, but I'm sure they're out there... :)

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
I managed to locate a card with exchange that was used in my house prior to me moving in 20 years ago.  My grandmother, an old AT&T employee, used to give her number as "GAspee-1 4521".  I saw an E-1/D-1/684 on eBay with a card with that exchange (poplar1 also pointed it out to me, thanks).  I contacted the seller about local pick up and he told me the phone was also available on Craigslist, so I arranged to buy it for $99.  The seller grew up in my neighborhood, which is called Gaspee, in Warwick and he thought the phone came from there.  I explained to him that our exchange back then began with either 46 or 78, and that GAspee stood for 42 and was actually used in Providence.  At this point he gave me an odd look and jumped in his car with the money and drove off to Saunderstown.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:00:41 PM by Sargeguy »
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
My odd mind can't help but wonder if us brits still owned the US, would that place have been named Petrolwee...  :P

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
You Brits are the ones who came up with the name, Americans would never name a ship that!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
You Brits are the ones who came up with the name, Americans would never name a ship that!

Actually the name was French, we just bought the boat from their canadian colonies and took the accent off the e, changing it from Gaspée to HMS Gaspee... ;D

At least that's what wikipedia claims, that might not be 100% true, given that history is always written by the people who win... ;D

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
Whilst trying to figure out why our ADSL is on a go-slow, I was looking for where the local telephone exchange was located, then a big duh moment hit me, the present exchange (a very drab, beige, 1960s design) is right behind what I believe to be the original 1926 Stanley telephone exchange, the general design, shape and layout of the building lends itself to being potentially a former home of lots of click & bang goodies, shame all that's there now is a wallpaper warehouse... :-\

And ironically, I've been right next to it and never even realised... ???