Author Topic: NT Alexander Graham Airplane Phone  (Read 12447 times)

Offline wds

Re: NT Alexander Graham Airplane Phone
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
Thanks - I looked all over the TCI site and couldn't find anything about the plane phone.  I ended up following the wiring instructions for one of their other phones.  Well, I think it's wired correctly, which means the ringer is bad.  Now the hunt for another ringer.
Dave

Offline LarryInMichigan

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
I think it uses an M1A ringer.  I think that I have a spare or two here.

Larry

Online AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »
They have real ringers in them? I would have assumed an electronic alerter of some sort.

Terry

Offline DavePEI

• Global Moderator
  • Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island
    • The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 04:38:16 AM »
They have real ringers in them? I would have assumed an electronic alerter of some sort.
Yup, a real ringer if that is what you call it, an M1A. It must be one of the very last NTs with true ringers. I find their ring a little wishy-washy.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Offline Fabius

• Porcelain Telephone Sign Collector
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Offline wds

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
The first replacement ringer didn't work either, but the 2nd replacement was the charm.  I had no idea that there would be differences between those ringers, but there are.  The mounting holes were different sizes on the replacement ringer, so I had to switch the rubber washers to get it to mount on the phone.  Then the ringer damper switch is located off just enough that it doesn't work now.  I tried switching the plastic lever, but still wouldn't work.  You would think that those ringers would be identical no matter when manufactured, like the ringer in a we 302.  So now the ringer works, but the damper does not.  Phone looks a little out of place next to my other phones which are 50 years older, but looks nice.
Dave

Offline Fabius

• Porcelain Telephone Sign Collector
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
For those who are looking for one of these airplane phones there are  3 on eBay right now. I bought one off eBay and it arrived today. I very happy with it. It's a fun item.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Offline markosjal

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2017, 02:06:32 AM »
I bought one as a Gift for a Pilot/Aircraft Mechanic. it was only about 30 USD with shipping on Mercadolibre Mexico . I cleaned and polished it. It was missing the translucent dial shroud/prop (broken off). I promised to look for one. She loved it anyway. Oldphoneworks gave me a great deal on dial/prop and delivery to USA . It is being packed in a suitcase destined for Mexico about now and the proud owner has decided she wants to try to install it herself. It is a simple install and I only have memory to work from so if anyone here has a photo disassembled it might be helpful to her. I will check TCI library as well.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:09:25 AM by markosjal »
Phat Phantom's phone phettish

Offline mazda_matt

• Oldphoneworks
  • Oldphoneworks
    • Oldphoneworks
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
I bought one as a Gift for a Pilot/Aircraft Mechanic. it was only about 30 USD with shipping on Mercadolibre Mexico . I cleaned and polished it. It was missing the translucent dial shroud/prop (broken off). I promised to look for one. She loved it anyway. Oldphoneworks gave me a great deal on dial/prop and delivery to USA . It is being packed in a suitcase destined for Mexico about now and the proud owner has decided she wants to try to install it herself. It is a simple install and I only have memory to work from so if anyone here has a photo disassembled it might be helpful to her. I will check TCI library as well.

Mark

You're very welcome Mark.

-Matt
OPW
Oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Dominic_ContempraPhones

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »
Those are nice.  Cliff designed them at Northern T.  He did a car too.