Author Topic: unusual AE dial and info?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Dave Beck

• I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute
unusual AE dial and info?
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
Got this AE dial on an old 925 Kellogg. When I took it apart I noticed wires going to the inside of the dial. I have never seen this before does anyone have any info on this and what the capacitors are for?

Thanks,
Dave Beck

Offline Slal

Re: unusual AE dial and info?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
New at this.  Be interesting to see what 'Stub' and others w/more experience think.

Looks like "Radio Suppressor" dial from a (1944?) cat. 4055-D page 33.

Cat. No. AK-47 'Radio Suppressor Dial - Black

"Used to prevent the 'broadcasting' of dial impulses to a radio receiving set, which may otherwise occur when an aerial is located near an open wire telephone line.  Like Cat. No. AK-11 but is equipped also with a 0.1 m.f. condenser and a winding radio frequency choke coil mounted in the dial cup and wired to the springs." 

--Bruce

PS:  Thanks for posting that photo.  Am making 3-ring binder w/ref. pictures.  Will come in handy once the experts weigh in. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:11:38 PM by Slal »

Offline Dave Beck

• I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
This dial did not work, I am wondering if the capacitors were bad if this could be the problem, can I just remove the capacitors and use it as normal?

Dave Beck

Offline rdelius

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
Be carefull, it is easy to short out the pulsing contacts if wires and or lugs  are not dressed neatly.You can convert this dial to a standard one but you might need a second dial for pile-up insulators or spacers.That dial was used mostly on type 47 sets