Author Topic: Dial tuning, is it good enough or not?  (Read 4944 times)

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
    • . . . times keep changin'
Re: Dial tuning, is it good enough or not?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »
This should be good enough, a little oil may do a difference, and at least make it live longer. You should probably not do any adjustments between 9 and 12 pps.

Yes, I agree. When I have more time, I want to put some sort of gentle rust remover on the spring only and let it sit for a while before doing another ultrasonic cleaning. Then, after a few days of drying, I will oil it to get the final dial speed results with a rust free dial, lubricated dial.

For some reason the spring was rusty. I have photos and will post them tomorrow. Posting this here to document the effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning on dials. Does a nice job with the right cleaning solution. And Audacity is very good for this. Only about 0.05% of the software is used but with the ability to expand the recorded sound to 5 digits after the decimal in seconds provides more than significant accuracy in determining dial speed. I use 3 digits after the decimal point, more than enough for this analysis.

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
    • . . . times keep changin'
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »
This should be good enough, a little oil may do a difference, and at least make it live longer. You should probably not do any adjustments between 9 and 12 pps.

Cleaned most of the rust off of the main spring, gave it a second 20 minute ultrasonic cleaning, rinsed it with distilled water, blew it dry with compressed dry air and oil all bearing points. Looks good. Will retest it again in a few days to see if seeping oil makes any changes.

This is the speed analysis of the dial as removed from the phone

This is after cleaning and oiling.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:33:22 AM by TelePlay »

Offline dsk

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »
This shows the effects of cleaning, and oiling in a scientific manner. Good!
 :)

dsk