News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Slal's (Bruce's) Phone Gallery

Started by Slal, May 02, 2014, 01:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

WE 5304-C that originally came with F1 handset.

For comfort, I put a bakelite G1 on it.  Can now cradle handset on shoulder, type or write things down...  Happy me.

--Bruce

Edit:  While a fun phone, I simply don't have room for them all.  Am removing photos of ones I don't have anymore to save server space.  : )

Slal

Will have a lot of fun chatting about games & settling friendly wagers.

Slal

Looked much better on a light board used for drafting and tracing, but was advised too much sunlight not a good idea.  This one is probably nicest in my meager collection so far.

Room is very dark and that made photo a challenge.  Powered up tuner to get more light.  Even so, I think shutter speed was around 1/2 or 1/4.  Tripod time.  ; )

Edit: Dark Beige given away as part of a silly sports contest.  Now belongs to David @ London -- congrads!  (It's featured in his collection now.)

Kenton K

Yes, dark is good. I personally cover all my color telephones with some dark cloth when not in use. Keeps both dust and light away.

Slal

Quote from: Kenton K on September 30, 2014, 08:12:09 PM
Yes, dark is good. I personally cover all my color telephones with some dark cloth when not in use. Keeps both dust and light away.

Dust is no friend to old stereo components either.  Keep them covered when not in use so guess will do same for phones to protect against UV.

thx for suggestion

--Bruce

Slal

This white one from March 1958 took a little more time than most because it had a hairline crack in the front of it.    On the front right hand side.

--Bruce

Edit:
Updating photos since too much light where it was in guest bedroom & now in storage. : )

Slal

Is it turquoise or is it aqua?  Colors so close had to ask, but dial seems to indicate turquoise.

Also 'phone-itis' probably getting worse.  No place to put them now unless I build a little display shelf.  Nice project for winter months.  :)

Edit:  Who cares what color it is!  Garage sale & 10 bucks, so removing photos from gallery to save Dennis server space.  : )

WesternElectricBen

It looks to be like discolored aqua.

And yes, you can adjust the whole mechanism by loosening that screw and pulling it forward and back.

Ben

Slal

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 16, 2014, 04:42:43 PM
It looks to be like discolored aqua.

And yes, you can adjust the whole mechanism by loosening that screw and pulling it forward and back.

Ben

Thanks for reply.  Question about dial got overlooked as a couple of members helped me out in deciding turquoise or aqua.  I think the verdict as "probably turquoise."

Like to be a little more certain to decide whether to keep turquoise phone or give away as x-mas gift.  Aqua already x-mas gift-- everyone is getting 'project' phones this year.  ; ) 

Very difficult to photograph so a member suggested using a gray card.

Sooo.... Side by side photo.

Both have been treated with H2O2 gel.  Shined them up with a bit of Turtle Wax & 'Armor All'

Both are discolored aqua or one is Turquoise? 

Appreciate the help.

--Bruce

Edit:  Updating this.  A topic on comparing Aqua to Turquoise is around here somewhere.  Tidying up a bit.  ; )

Slal

Two more color WE500's from the 50's.  That will do it for this year's collecting budget.

The gray one cost $85 and he cut me some slack on the yellow one-- HS cord a little faded and it has writing on the bottom that doesn't want to come of with rubbing alcohol.  75 bucks.

Edit:  Got rid of yellow one, so removing to save clutter & server space.  Gray matches 1950's - 1960's office gadgets so hanging on to that one. 

WesternElectricBen

Nice soft plastic phone pickup.. I really like that gray color.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice new color 500s! I personally like the look of the paler-colored HS cords on early yellow 500s, it really looks good on them!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Slal

Thanks for replies.

And to think color 500's started as something of a lark back in August.  Bought a hard plastic red one for $65 to use as an "Alabama" sports phone to use chatting about games during halftime. 

Then Poplar1 was honest & gave me the bad news since I'd asked.  "Yes, you paid too much again Bruce.  Refurbished with a 9C dial-- worth maybe $30..."

Dennis M. then advised something along the lines of, "If you really want to collect 500's consider the soft plastic ones."

Don't know if will ever get *all* the colors (blue & dk gray might be difficult & *very* expensive but the hunt is what makes it fun.

Best

--Bruce

Slal

Navy "F" phone was a fun project and one whale of an AE wall phone.  Think it weighs about 14 pounds.

That will probably wrap things up for this year. 

Happy holidays!

--Bruce

Edit:  Sold this one to guy out in CA who likes to brass them out.  Save server space and suddenly I can actually get into a walk-in closet...

Slal

Been a while since updated this, so part of my phone "to do" list. 

My favorite is this 501 "Crimson Tide Party Line."  : )