"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Father's Day!

Started by mienaichizu, June 21, 2009, 10:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Happy Father's Day, guys!

It was a day early, but I feel like we celebrated it here, today. As a result, I didn't get too much done telephone-wise, but I got my car back from having the rocker panels replaced and getting it mostly re-painted - its not new, but it looks great! Then, Linda took me out for Chinese! Yum!

Tomorrow, I have to have a better look at the handset on that French phone I posted about, and get some more work done over in the Museum!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14541.0

Hope you will all have a good one!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

Happy Father's Day to you Dave, and all of our fathers.

~Dennis

WesternElectricBen

Happy Fathers day!

Dave, as they say, rust never rests. Pictures?

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 20, 2015, 10:15:00 PM

Hi Ben:

Sadly it doesn't. The car is now seven years old, and I didn't realize the rockers were getting so bad. But when we put it up on the hoist, there were several holes in them, so no more putting it off. Over the years, some of the paint had come off the rockers, and the clear coat had peeled off both front and back bumpers, so we decided to get both done at the same time.

Frustrating, as I can't afford to replace the car, and I figure it is the last one we will ever own considering the small pension I am on, and the fact my wife will soon have to retire, also. I need to win the lottery  :) . But it looks great now, and hopefully it will extend its life a bit! If it is sunny tomorrow, I will take a photo.... Still looks like a 2007 Fusion, but looks much better!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

compubit

Dave,

I fully understand trying to keep a car as long as I can. I have a co-worker who seems to change cars in his family as frequently as I change my air conditioning filters...  Then he goes to complain about having to write 3 checks for kiddo college tuition (plus buying them new/recent model cars - and I'm not talking a Chevy or Dodge). I understand him wanting to pay for college, but IMHO, grad school is on your own (1 kid), a real degree program is required (1 kid studying "art" and becoming a "general" - "General Studies"), and a new freshman (smart kid, about to study engineering at a state school - he's the one I'd bet on...). He keeps telling me I need to get a new car (and sell him my old one for his youngest son).  I'm very happy with my 7+ year old Escape - at 8 miles a day round trip to work, it's not gaining a whole lot of mileage since moving to DC 4 years ago!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Yes, a Happy Fathers Day to all of the Fathers out there!

I am not certain what I will be doing tomorrow but today was the day that the stairs to the back deck at my daughters place were replaced. The old ones were the typical 2x10 stringers with 2x10 steps. It had been there for the 24 years that I have owned the place, was all pressure treated wood and was still in reasonable shape. But, when notching a 2x10 into stringers for stairs the "points" love to eventually break off, so I had put quite a few screws in over the years to keep it all together. And at the top it was all just fastened into a piece of 3/4" plywood dropping down from the 2x10 deck framing which was definitely the weak spot.

I decided to try these Home Depot steel stair risers which cost more but saved time. The problem then is that you have to live with their step spacing and step depth which wasn't quite the same as what had been there which affects the existing railings.....but it worked. I needed seven steps which was the largest set they had available. It "bounces" a little more than wood stringers do when you walk on it but as long as the welds don't break and rust doesn't take over by this time next year I will be happy enough with it.

First picture = Me in progress

Second picture = Existing railings on now and sending a test subject (friend who stopped by to visit) up to verify integrity.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 20, 2015, 10:15:00 PM

Ben: Here are a couple of photos of the car now after its first night back home.... Looks much better than it did! I consider that my Father's Day gift to myself :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Happy Fathers Day Dave!

I'm confused......I thought your grass, roads, driveway, cars, houses, (everything really) were all permanently painted white with some sort of really thick white paint?

Terry

WesternElectricBen

The car looks real nice, Dave.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 21, 2015, 10:33:27 AM
Happy Fathers Day Dave!

I'm confused......I thought your grass, roads, driveway, cars, houses, (everything really) were all permanently painted white with some sort of really thick white paint?

Terry
They were for way too long this year  :'(
C*NET 1-651-0001