News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White WE 1500D Desk Phone

Started by Tim Mc, June 09, 2014, 09:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Mc

I took a shot and won a 1500D this weekend.  For $57 (includes s&h) I thought it was a good price:

http://tinyurl.com/kql8qkp

This 1500 will complete my small collection of desk sets from the 302 up through a 2500.  It's time to find a display case!

Dennis Markham

Tim, that is a nice phone.  I had been keeping my eye on it just to see how much the final price would be.  I think from what I've seen in the past, you got a nice deal.

Editor's Note:

Attached is a photo.  Which leads me to this reminder---everyone-----Please do not just put a link to an eBay auction without attaching a photo of the items you're referencing.  Once eBay purges it from their data base, we have a dead link on the forum.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4322.0

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

I sold one of those on ebay a couple of years ago for $77.77 plus shipping.

Larry

Tim Mc

Thanks Dennis, and thanks for the reminder on posting auction pics.   Hopefully it will clean up nicely.  All of my other desk phones in my "1937-1977 desk set collection" are black, but white would have been my next choice.  I completed the clean up on my 5302 yesterday, so the workbench is ready for another project.

Fabius

Where are you located? Did you see my post about display cases being sold by a Michigan City, Indiana Hobby Lobby?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Tim Mc

I'm in St. Louis.  I picked up a barrister's bookcase with horizontal glass doors last night.  Thanks for the idea though.

csabi996

It looked like it is in nice condition ... I had put a couple bids on it.  Just out of curiosity when you get it. Can you check what year the plastic housing is?

Fabius

Tim,  you were with the 82nd?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Tim Mc

Yes Sir.  3 years of jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.  Ft. Bragg, NC, '87-'90.  I was a 31C single channel radioman (RATT), and single channel satellite.  I guess that's in part where I got the phone bug.

Fabius

Thank you for your service. I served 1958 - 1971. 24U20 Nike Hercules electronic technician. Ft Bliss, Texas
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Tim Mc

Here's the before and after.  The keypad needed a repair and a good cleaning.  The white parts originally appeared beige and were "cooked" in a 2.5 gallon Hefty slider lock clear bag for a couple of sunny days with a straight 40% peroxide clear liquid.  The parts weren't submerged, but the Hefty bag held a tight seal and kept the O2 inside, expanding like a balloon.  My kids were even impressed with the results.  A special thanks to Doug Rose for providing a white 4-prong plug to complete the original line cord!

WesternElectricBen

Wow, amazing!!

I need to do the peroxide treatment myself for an upcoming 500 P/U project on the mushroom cap and handset.

Ben

Tim Mc

Thanks Ben!  I will no longer fear white phones. 

Greg G.

How do you get the small clear cover for the phone number off?  Do they just pop off? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Use your fingernail/dial removing pin to pry on the side with the notch. You want it to bend like a rainbow, then you can carefully remove it.

Ben