"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1950 Western Electric 500 Set

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 14, 2014, 05:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello everybody,

I thought I would show images of the 1950 500 set I was given to from a good friend. I just restored it and it came out quite well. I will also add a video link to images of the inside, so you can observe changes made. For example, the dial (7A,) the dial tripod, equalizer, the ringer stamping, etc.

Although, it is mostly original, the cords and handset are from the late 50's -60's. I also added the period correct jack, as well as a modular cord so you could hook it up to any modern outlet.

Previously explained here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12051.15

Link to YouTube presentation containing inside images and demonstration: http://youtu.be/BNjxzRaAIDI

Thanks for reading and enjoy the images,

Ben

RotarDad

Ben - Looks great, especially with that smaller font "operator" and older dial card.  Great find, and even better that it was a gift.  I'm sure your friend is very pleased that the phone is now owned by someone who really appreciates it as much as he did.  Nice job on the resto also!
Paul

WesternElectricBen

Thanks, so much Paul, I was trying to remember what distinguished the dial plate from another phone, but I just couldn't remember.

As you can see, it's not perfect, there is a crack and a scratch or two I couldn't get out, but I think it turned out well too.

I definitely think he felt that way once he gave me these special phones. And trust me, I will cherish them.

Ben

paul-f

Nice presentation, Ben.

When looking at the dial plate, also look at the back and compare it with later dial plates.

Even with a few defects, it's a great set.  I often leave some signs of use when refurbing sets.  It's natural to have scratches, dings, burn marks and wear patterns on sets that were in daily use for decades.  I also like the wear pattern on upright desk stands - occasionally down to the brass underneath - from years of handling.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Thanks Paul, I have plenty of other ones, too.

The difference of the operator size is a small detail, but interesting. You know, I noticed the back of the dial plate, I was going to post a picture of it, as I've never seen them looking so 'flimsy.' Also, I agree the defects make the phones interesting, but I'd be okay with out them.

*Next up, a nice green 880 speakerphone set!*

Ben