News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

old ericsson phone info clear case now with photos

Started by andyb, July 13, 2014, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyb

hi there i have an old ericsson phone that ive owned for about forty years    its a table phone with a clear perspex case  i know nothing about this and would be very interested in some information  it seems very colouful inside and has ericsson on gold on the front     i will put some pics up if someone can tell me how to do it    many thanks

TelePlay

It's quite easy. This should help.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8990.0

Just remember to downsize large photos as mentioned in that link. Very large photos will lock up a page.

It's as easy as clicking on the Attachments and other options link just under the text composition box and browsing for the photo or photos you want to upload. A maximum of 6 photos are allowed per reply so more than 6 would require more than one reply.

And, keep in mind, the forum software has been upgraded since those examples were posted by DavePEI so the screens may look a bit different in layout and color but the method used to upload photos is the same.

andyb

has a few cracks but il post a pic

andyb

(Andy, I modified your photo to rotate it into position.  I also lightened it a bit.  When uploaded from a smart phone they appear sideways....at least on Firefox.)
~Dennis

unbeldi

I believe this is an Ericsson model 1951 telephone.

Does the unit have any dates on it?

Attached is a copy of the 1951 production model.  No doubt yours was for exhibits.  I would consider it extremely rare.  Wonderful item.
It even has one of the old style handsets still that were only issued early on.

The model 1951 was the Ericsson response to a call by the Dutch PTT around 1950 for a new line of telephones, and, from what I have read, only three companies were invited to submit designs. The models submitted carried the year of design (or so) as model number. Another submission was by Heemaf (model 1955, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10534.0). And the third company escapes me right now. Philips or Standard Electric?  These submissions became the mainstay of telephone apparatus in Holland for more than a decade, almost two in fact.

The internals, i.e. the electrical parts and the circuit was essentially dictated by the PTT and all these phones were almost identical inside, often even having the same components and almost identical spatial arrangement. The handset were pretty much interchangeable and it is common to find them mixed up among the manufacturers. Receiver and transmitter elements were interchangeable too.

[PS: edited after examination of more detailed pictures, not exactly a model 1951, but earlier British Ericsson version]

andyb

hi thanks for the photo help   much appreciated      where do i need to look for dates or numbers on the phone

unbeldi

Quote from: andyb on July 13, 2014, 10:06:43 AM
hi thanks for the photo help   much appreciated      where do i need to look for dates or numbers on the phone

A picture of the bottom would be interesting, as well as of the components inside.  Please look for dates on the electrical components when removing the housing.

andyb

ok i will do the photos wen i get home in a bit

andyb

more pics

unbeldi

After looking at more details in your pictures, I don't think anymore that this was made for the Dutch PTT.  It was made by the English division of Ericsson, but clearly in the same style of the 1951.  The 1951, however, had two cord exists on the rear, not centered, one for the handset cord and one for the line cord. Yours appears has only one centered cord exit.

The base plate is essentially like the 1951, in shape and arrangement of the sound holes under the gongs.  Internals appear somewhat different, especially the hookswitch mechanism, from what I can tell.

Matilo Telephones

The Ericsson DBH1001 was redisigned in 1947 with more softer lines and with the Electrics mounted on the baseplate instead of on a frame which in turn was bolted inside the casing (and with a base plate without any parts).

This 1947 version had the cords coming out of the side like the original DBH 1001.

This 1947 model was the basis for other versions, like the Ericsson 1951 from Holland (PTT) like the black one posted below. The 1951 was made to conform to the PTT Norm 51 and has totally different insides.

Sadly I do not have the model 1947, but I';m keeping my eyes open. You do see them in Canada for example. The were sold here in Holland too, but are rare here now.

The clear one is a British version of this 1947 model, with different handset and dial and different insides. The cord come out of the back.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

Matilo Telephones

Here is a picture of the inside lay out of the 1947 version.
Groeten,

Arwin