Author Topic: Anyone Collect Antique Fans?  (Read 20743 times)

Offline rp2813

• 10/50
Re: Any fan collectors out there?
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Larry, that's a nice job you did on the Vortalex, and even with its problems you got it for a great price.

Balancing the blades on a Vortalex can be a real challenge.  I spent a lot of time on mine and can barely feel any vibration at all from the cage when the fan is running now.

I just picked up a little Superior 10" one-speed oscillator from a friend and it made me realize just how much more effective the Vortalex is at moving air.

Offline LarryInMichigan

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Ralph, thank you.  I think that I have the Vortalex blades about as balances as I will ever have them.  The fan barely shakes at all while running, but there is a small wobble visible in the blades while they are spinning.  The fan sure blows well, but it is rather loud.

As a caution to fan collectors, I would strongly suggest inspecting the head wire, especially inside the motor housing near the entrance.  Both of these GE fans had very badly worn insulation on the wires in that area with enough copper showing to make me plenty concerned.  I don't particularly want flashes and smoke from the fans, so I replaced the head wires, which is a bit of a challenge.

Offline bakerbrett741

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
I like almost anything made before my time. Im glad to see pics of things that can be repaired and enjoyed. I started collecting touch tip lighters and phones.