Author Topic: WIRING A WESTERN ELECTRIC 52AB CANDLESTICK  (Read 11071 times)

unbeldi

Re: WIRING A WESTERN ELECTRIC 52AB CANDLESTICK
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Here is a 152-AB I just finished.  I was going to put it up on eBay but I think I'll keep it.  It has a nice NOS cord and 4H dial and I don't think it would do as well as a 151-AL.  Besides, it's a buyers market on eBay these days.

Looks very nice. I would keep it too. Headsets don't seem to gather much respect.

What number head band is that with the long stem before the fork?
There are several versions and I still have to keep track exactly of which goes when with which type of set and receiver holder.

Yours looks like one of the newer types?

I know a 15F goes with a 52S operator headset.

I think, I am looking for a 3B or 11A for a 716B receiver.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:07:11 PM by unbeldi »

unbeldi

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
Here are a 3B and a 7A band from the mid 20s.  I think I got these from the 1922 Railroad catalog.

... Added an 11A head band with a 528 receiver, from 1934.

... ... While I am at it. I found a No. 15A picture in the Type 52 Head Telephone Set brochure (ca. 1946 ?)

Now that I read that brochure, it turns out the stem or pin that holds the yoke actually slides in and out of the black plastic triangle. I've never thought about that before, I thought it was a different suffix number for long and short pin. I just tried it out and it works!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:54:00 AM by unbeldi »

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »
I have one that is similar to the one on my 152AB but has a black vinyl cover, and the bracket that holds the receiver is painted.  It holds a headset microphone "AUDIOEARS P/N 1400A" and jack cord for a switchboard.  It's yours if you want it but you have to take the microphone too.  `
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
I have one that is similar to the one on my 152AB but has a black vinyl cover, and the bracket that holds the receiver is painted.  It holds a headset microphone "AUDIOEARS P/N 1400A" and jack cord for a switchboard.  It's yours if you want it but you have to take the microphone too.  `

Thanks, I think I am going to hold out for a 3B, I have a couple No 15, but the yoke is a little too tight.  One catalog mentions they could be used, but the yoke has to be opened up a little by bending.

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
How about this one?

Operator Head Set Western Electric Bakelite? retro

Thanks!  I saw that one too, but I just got the same thing for $5. I think it's an 11A.

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »
I am watching this one and hoping the price comes down when no one bids on it, I think most of the value is in the cord, and I could use one of these for my railroad scissor phone if I ever figure out what i did with all the parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
I am watching this one and hoping the price comes down when no one bids on it, I think most of the value is in the cord, and I could use one of these for my railroad scissor phone if I ever figure out what i did with all the parts.

Yes, I felt it was too much, almost $35 with the shipping. The cord does look nice and that is worth something, but the same can be had for less. These headsets are often very cheap. Last week I saw an auction with 3 or so headsets with at least 2 head bands, and some other parts for ~$3 plus about $15 for shipping, IIRC.