News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Low Volume?

Started by HarrySmith, October 24, 2014, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently sold a Kellogg/ITT 500 on eBay and just got a message from the buyer that people she calls say she sounds a million miles away. The phone sounded fine when I tested it on my Panasonic after restoration and again before shipping. What do you think is causing this. Any ideas on what I can have her try?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

No suggestions? 36 views and not a single idea? I need some help here guys! I have not received feedback from this buyer yet!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Maybe a wimpy phone service?? Did the buyer sound distant to all of the persons she called?

Ben

Phonesrfun

If there is a problem, I would suspect the transmitter element.  Nothing else in a 500 that I could think of would cause this problem.  When you tested it, did you just listen or did you actually talk to someone on the phone?  You never know, however what the user has the phone plugged into or if there is another phone off the hook in her house.

You could send her a known good replacement T1 with instructions on changing it out.  Other than that, to avoid bad feedback, offer her a refund.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

I suggested trying another jack, another phone, etc.
I always test with my wife on the cordless in the next room, sounded fine on both ends. This buyer is about as non-technical as you can get, I don't think I could get her to take the cap off, never mind change out the element!
Thanks for the ideas!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Maybe offer to call her and see how it sounds to you, but that wouldn't prove much as far as she is concerned.  The problem with a 500 is that if you had her send it back to you on your nickel and you either sent her another one or offered to fix that one, the freight wouldn't be worth it.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Yes, exactly! That is why I am trying to get her to diagnose it, if I have her send it back for me to fix and then send it back to her I have lost money already.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

I agree with Bill and Ben. 

The first step is to hear what it sounds like to you.  Your buyer may only have third party reports.  Some buyers have unrealistic expectations.  Others may use an excuse like this to try to get out of a transaction (get you to take a return) simply because they changed their mind.

These days, it's always important to understand the type of phone service being used and how many other phones are connected to the same line.

If the phone is bad, since it worked when it left you, the most likely cause for the change is vibration during shipping and handling.  Even well packed phones are subjected to enough vibration that could potentially cause loosening or misalignment of internal contacts or the final tap that separates a wire from a spade tip.

While you're on the phone, have her try wiggling cords and tapping the phone against a hand to see if anything is intermittant.

Unfortunately from your description, just about any real problem will require a return to the phone doctor in this case.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

OK, looks like this phone is going to need a doctor visit. Now the dial is not working correctly. Turns slowly and does not return all the way. I do not remember what I did to this dial. I usually just spray them clean with contact cleaner, blow dry, oil at the appropriate points, then test.

Now, the real reason for this post. Shipping this phone back to me for repair and then shipping back to the buyer means I lose money. The other option is to just refund the money and take the phone back. The buyer really likes it and want's to keep it. Does anyone live near Glen Haven, Colorado? Would you be willing to meet her and fix this phone for me? I will be eternally grateful and can reward you with a phone, parts, whatever I have or plain old cash. I realize this is an unusual request but I am in dire straits here! Thanks.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Unfortunately, part of being in business usually means you take a loss now and then.  I don't blame you for wanting to get to the bottom of it.  If I were in her neighborhood, I'd volunteer to be the Dr., but I am several states and a time zone away.
-Bill G

tallguy58

Send her a new transmitter element and see if that fixes it.  That happened to me once. My dad said I sounded far away so I swapped the trans. out and it fixed it.

Cheaper than sending the whole phone back.
Cheers........Bill