Author Topic: The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards  (Read 116481 times)

Offline RotarDad

• '65 WE 236G
Re: The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
Here’s one I got very cheap on EBay.  Seller had 100% positive feedback but only charged about $7 shipping.  I knew there was packing risk at that price, but I gave the seller my standard “please pack so handset does not contact phone body” message and left it at that.....  Just a USPS bubble bag with no other protection except for “fragile please” written on the bag..  To his credit, my instruction was followed..... 😎. Amazingly, the phone survived undamaged (an NE ‘73 500Y hotel phone in nice shape).  I’ll add another post with before and after resto pics soon....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:20:57 PM by RotarDad »
Paul

Offline poplar1

• 1051-AL
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
Around 1992, all residential customers who wanted to stop paying quarterly charges for their AT&T leased phones were given Tyvek (bullet proof?) mailing envelopes to return them to the lone remaining AT&T service center (in Atlanta) for residential phones. The soft plastic 500s often arrived in a million pieces. Not that it mattered, since AT&T was selling them for 11 cents a pound to Applied Components Inc. (ACI shipped most of them to China, but we bought some for $1.50 each.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline RotarDad

• '65 WE 236G
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
Interesting story, poplar1 - Thanks for sharing that.  The economics didn’t support any better treatment of the phones, since the goal was to simply to remove them from service since they weren’t going to be leased anymore.  I hope you found a nice one or two during that time.  I’ve often wondered about the stories behind the thousands (millions?) of these bell phones that survived.....
Paul

Offline oldguy

« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »
Like you stated Paul, he followed your instructions, the handset wasn’t touching the body of the phone :) :)
Gary