Author Topic: Hideous Telephones  (Read 108420 times)

Offline baldopeacock

Re: Hideous Telephones
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
EDIT:  split off from Lamp Phone Atrocities and merged into Hideous Phones - and therefore, no longer off topic

-----------------------------------------------

Off-topic?  It's an atrocity done to a phone, but not a lamp this time.   

This is a Halloween "Telemarketer" costume, or at least it's claimed to be on the blog where I ran across it.   One of the phones on the guy's head sure looks like it has a thick, gray coiled handset cord and the center of the fingerwheel's open (extremely).   

Kinda looks like a Mediterranean Blue 500, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:06:17 PM by TelePlay »

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
The phone in Reply #418 reminded me of something, but I couldn't figure out what until I saw an episode of the TV show Star Trek.  It looks like a tribble!

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #422 on: February 14, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
I was in B&Q the other day (like Home Depot across the pond, just not as useful and full of chinese tat) and happened to pass their telephone wiring section, and noticed they seem to be stocking the cheap copies there now... ::)

The first one is a GPO 162 clone (the 232 has a drawer in the base, this clone doesn't) which surprisingly had a rather heavy handset which felt like metal, but everything else felt cheap & nasty, especially that dial, doesn't sit right with me at all, and the price, 72....... :o

http://www.diy.com/departments/gpo-classic-corded-rotary-telephone/578059_BQ.prd

And the second phone, a WE Princess-style phone with a pushbutton dial, and a handset so crudely made it didn't sit right in the cradle, it just rocked back & forth (rocking in the cradle? There's a joke somewhere there!!), and it's apparently a GPO phone too, priced at 34... ???

http://www.diy.com/departments/gpo-retro-corded-rotary-telephone/578060_BQ.prd

Couldn't look at the bases of the phones, presumably they're bolted down to stop people walking off with them, why anyone would want to do so though I have no idea... ;D

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #423 on: February 14, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
That last one has something called a mock rotary dial.  It is a push button phone, but the buttons are round and arranged in a circular fashion to make it look somewhat like a rotary dial.  They will even include a finger stop to further enhance the illusion.

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #424 on: February 14, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »
That last one has something called a mock rotary dial.  It is a push button phone, but the buttons are round and arranged in a circular fashion to make it look somewhat like a rotary dial.  They will even include a finger stop to further enhance the illusion.

Yeah, those push-button "retro-style" phones make me nauseous. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #425 on: February 15, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
Just listed, this one hurts my eyes. To each his own, I guess. Good thing only one photo was posted, (lessens the hurt).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Painted-Telephone-Western-Electric-/131429917483
            John . . .

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #426 on: February 15, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
According to the seller, this phone works.  It isn't just a work of art like that 302 we saw earlier.

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
If it rang, could you find it? To me, it seems like a well done camouflage job . . . , but not worth the $150 BIN plus $12 shipping, maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-hand-decorated-decoupaged-rotary-phone-art-deco-/221702905633

The seller has at least 7 of these for sale, each at $150, and from the lack of cords, none of them working (handset holes are covered up, anyway).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:46:10 PM by TelePlay »
            John . . .

Offline NorthernElectric

« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
Well, I sort of like this 302 with a groovy paint job, but thought others might not.

My apologies if anyone else spotted this and posted it already, but 29 pages of posts in this thread is too much to read for this newbie.   :)
Cliff

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »
This following link has also been posted at the top of the first post of this topic for easy finding, as the pages of this topic grow.

John . . .

Offline paul-f

• Old Telephones as Entertainment!
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
From the TCI Listserv.  From the thumbnail on ebay, I thought it might have been a variant of the Patio Phone set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400773122591
Visit: paul-f.com         WE 500  Design_Line

Offline baldopeacock

« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
That's an uncommon microwave antenna.

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #432 on: April 23, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
Seller claims this frankenphone is not a reproduction and wants a BIN $460 plus shipping. Looks like the dial and the receiver came from the same repro stick.

"Antique Wall Phone with Hand Crank - Definitely Not A Reproduction"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Wall-Phone-with-Hand-Crank-Definitely-Not-A-Reproduction-/251931013054
            John . . .

Offline WEBellSystemChristian

• Grandpa's 1955 Western Electric 500
« Reply #433 on: April 23, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
That same transmitter is on Doug's GEC stick, or the triangle on it is, at least.
Christian

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Offline rdelius

« Reply #434 on: April 23, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »
That connector is an English one.I suspect the fingerwheel is a Indian one on a later plastic version of a #12 dial.rec looks like indian fake to me also.Union Telephone transmitter, parts from everywhere