Author Topic: Hideous Telephones  (Read 108456 times)

Offline Fabius

• Porcelain Telephone Sign Collector
Re: Hideous Telephones
« Reply #600 on: June 10, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
That must be a Type 420.

I wonder how many got the joke.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Offline Nick in Manitou

« Reply #601 on: June 10, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
I got it.  But I am of a certain age and until recently was a resident of the very high state of Colorado.  ;)

Alex G. Bell

« Reply #602 on: June 10, 2017, 10:01:33 PM »
    That must be a Type 420.
I wonder how many got the joke.
420?  Nah, would have to be some "higher" number. 

I don't see any sign the dial is attached to the box but if it is I'd like to see the human factors studies results on dialing errors using it.

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #603 on: June 10, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
I don't see any sign the dial is attached to the box but if it is I'd like to see the human factors studies results on dialing errors using it.

I didn't post all of the eBay pictures but I think this one shows the metal dial mount removed from a 500 base bolted to the bottom of the wood box used most likely as a "holder" for the dial when placed inside the box. The dial would sit on the mount loose until needed, then lifted out, the number dialed and then placed back on the "holder." It would be very difficult to dial a number if it could not be lifted out.
            John . . .

Alex G. Bell

« Reply #604 on: June 10, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
I didn't post all of the eBay pictures but I think this one shows the metal dial mount removed from a 500 base bolted to the bottom of the wood box used most likely as a "holder" for the dial when placed inside the box. The dial would sit on the mount loose until needed, then lifted out, the number dialed and then placed back on the "holder." It would be very difficult to dial a number if it could not be lifted out.
Pretty goofy!  First because it requires 2 hands to dial and second because even stranded wire leads will fail in a short time if flexed routinely.  The "reasonable" thing to do would have been to mount the dial bracket on a block of wood so it's not so deep in the box and can be operated while in the bracket.  But for some reason I'm not surprised that they didn't do that.  Why am I not surprised???   ;D

Offline Contempra

« Reply #605 on: June 11, 2017, 11:31:39 AM »
I got it.  But I am of a certain age and until recently was a resident of the very high state of Colorado.  ;)

Lucky man .. I have never lived in any other Canadian province other than Quebec ...On the other hand, I dreamed of living in the USA when I was younger but I did not know a word of English at the time.
Denis

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #606 on: June 22, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
Now this one may be an attention breaker. How does one keep a thought going having to look at those eyes during a call.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Desk-Phone-working-condition-touch-tone-hand-painted-art-/201960957818
            John . . .

Alex G. Bell

« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
Now this one may be an attention breaker. How does one keep a thought going having to look at those eyes during a call.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Desk-Phone-working-condition-touch-tone-hand-painted-art-/201960957818
Frankly, I find the mouth more grotesque, though it didn't go the whole 9 yards with a tongue hanging out like the Rolling Stones album.  Now... if the eyes followed you around the room, that would be distracting!

Offline Contempra

« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
Il y en a qui ont pas mal de temps à perdre pour faire ce genre de peinture sur des téléphones .... C'est tellement laid ..

Sorry i write in french ,more easy to me ;)..

================

Google Translate:  "There are some who have a lot of time to lose to do this kind of painting on phones .... It's so ugly .."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:49:45 PM by TelePlay »
Denis

Alex G. Bell

« Reply #609 on: June 22, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Il y en a qui ont pas mal de temps à perdre pour faire ce genre de peinture sur des téléphones .... C'est tellement laid ..

Sorry i write in french ,more easy to me ;)..

================

Google Translate:  "There are some who have a lot of time to lose to do this kind of painting on phones .... It's so ugly .."
"waste" instead of "lose" would be the more typical way to say it. 

A related common expression is "too much free time" and another is "too much money and not enough common sense".

Offline Contempra

« Reply #610 on: June 22, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
Yes Alex but in french " perdre du temps " .. mean losing time and " Perdre son temps " mean  wasting time .. What i write in french is correct because it's in my native language ;), you're right in english .. Waste and lose seems to be of the same meaning but not because, it always depends on what you mean according to your thought ... As for me, I had the good meaning of the fact 'Perdre son temps à peinturer' meant ' Wasting time painting " if i'm right in english ..
Denis

Alex G. Bell

« Reply #611 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Yes Alex but in french " perdre du temps " .. mean losing time and " Perdre son temps " mean  wasting time .. What i write in french is correct because it's in my native language ;), you're right in english .. Waste and lose seems to be of the same meaning but not because, it always depends on what you mean according to your thought ... As for me, I had the good meaning of the fact 'Perdre son temps à peinturer' meant ' Wasting time painting " if i'm right in english ..
I wasn't questioning your French.  I was questioning Google's translation, which seemed to perform a literal translation, failing to capture an expression which seems to be idiomatic in French since "perdre" literally means "to lose" but used with "son" (a possessive) changes the meaning to "waste", a different verb in English.

Online AL_as_needed

• WE '63 500L/M, From Narco Avionics
« Reply #612 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:51 PM »

Maybe its something mom/dad devised to keep the calls short and the personal pay out to ma bell a bit lower....
TWinbrook7

Offline Pourme

• Benny
« Reply #613 on: September 19, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »
Hideous could be in the eye of the beholder.

My eyes behold this as hideous!

(I know it’s a cover,a hideous one)
The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline 19and41

« Reply #614 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:01 PM »
A cover or a grill?   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke