Author Topic: Compubit / Jim's (Growing) Phone Collection  (Read 8774 times)

Offline compubit

Re: Compubit / Jim's (Growing) Phone Collection
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »
It has the square buttons, but the buttons have a different feel - it feels like a rubber membrane button, vs. a spring loaded in earlier models.

Also, the font on the Button face is a Helvetica-style font vs. the original square button phones used a Univers-style font. (The number 1 is the definite giveaway)

This last generation of rotary Princess phones use Helvetica-style numbers on the number ring, as do the rotary Trimlines.

The screw covers on this series also say AT&T in matching colored plastic on the handset, vs. the base seen on earlier models, but the bases seem to be refurbished original bases (with an RF sticker on the bottom).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Offline compubit

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 12:05:39 AM »
Well, I can add Country Blue (-305) to the Trimline Color Collection.

[Pictures for comparison vs. Teal Blue (-145) ]

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Offline Stormcrash

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
Nice! Seems the Teal one has yellowed a bit, as they are very prone to do. My mom has a Teal CS Trimline from 83 so I like both it and the Country Blue. I believe Country Blue was only available on lease models. I wonder if that handset was remanufactured like the base and got an updated AT&T screw cover as part of it.  The CS trimlines sold after breakup had the Bell Trimline screw cover replaced with a plastic number card cover and a paper strip with the AT&T globe logo on it, so I think the molded plastic AT&T covers were only used on lease phones.

Interesting about the short travel keypads too. Does the Country Blue one have it like your sunny yellow one? I wonder if it was a cost reduction for keypad replacement during refurbishment post breakup, as I think all the pre breakup Trimlines I've come across have the normal long travel linear keypads.

Offline compubit

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »
This one has the old keypad in the handset - the box that came with it is marked “Refurbished” (vs. “Reconditioned” on the Sunny Yellow Trimline).  The Sunny Yellow keypad has nearly the full throw as the classic square-button handsets, but it has a different feel (membrane-based switch, vs. spring-loaded mechanical)

I do recall the paper/clear plastic screw cover on the CS models.

The teal has slightly yellowed, but the picture amplifies the yellowing...

Jim

Offline compubit

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
Finally have a pair!

The blue/green one needs a retr0brite (or equivalent) processing to get the base to the original white. The good news is that the buttons don’t yellow!

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
Finally have a pair!

The blue/green one needs a retr0brite (or equivalent) processing to get the base to the original white. The good news is that the buttons don’t yellow!
The blue /green is very hard to find. It makes a pair. Submit it to find of the month.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could swap the buttons to an un faded set.
A buddy of mine had the orange set . He dialed by pattern, so he swapped around the buttons for fun.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline compubit

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
I’ve been lucky. Both sets of button look mint. Many have scratches and fading (yes,I’ve seen some fading of the orange buttons to almost yellow...)

Jim