Author Topic: Qs: about 48-A Western Electric Magneto  (Read 1872 times)

Qs: about 48-A Western Electric Magneto
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Hi, new to the boards here at CRPF, and wow what a cool place!  Spent the last few hours reading up, trying to find info on my 48-A magneto (patent paperwork, wiring diagram, other printed info)...  I like the history of stuff as much as the items themselves.  I'd like to get this Magneto working, so I took it apart, cleaned it up, reassembled and it feels like it just might work.  However, there is a part missing, the insert cog holder for the lower winding axel.  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest either folks here that have that kind of stuff, or places to buy/order it online.  Would be great to get this thing working.  Got it delivered for about 30 bucks, so I'd like to keep this small part cost to a minimum making the entire find/restoration just a few hours, and not more than the 30 bucks I already have in it.  Thanks for your time folks, neat stuff to read here!  Cheers.  David
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:41:03 PM by Super Dave Osbourne »

Offline G-Man

Re: Qs: about 48-A Western Electric Magneto
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
Perhaps these will help...

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Wow, that second is exactly the series 48 that I have.  Really great stuff the folks at the library have done to bring old documentation (with OCR) to the masses.  Now if I could just find that part I'm looking for, its so simple, thought about making my own replacement out of washer/s with a grinder and files and stack two washers up and hold them in place.  Would really prefer the original part.  Thank you for posting those 3 and 5 bar hand crank magneto documents from the library project!   Anyone have the part for sale to help this guy complete the cleaning and restoration?

Offline G-Man

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
In general hand generators are not very sought after; in fact several were given away at the recent TCI Telephone Show. There are countless generators relegated to collector’s “bone piles” that would be a great donors for parts you are seeking.  Between the CRP, TCI and the ATCA collectors clubs and forums, you should soon be able to find what you are seeking.

Offline G-Man

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
I forgot to include the following..

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
After looking at the provided c.jpg, I believe I'm missing parts E1, E2, and E3.  I'm confident I can make E3.  So as a result I'm looking for E1-2.  Thank you very much for you help in figuring out what I need!  I'll look into the clubs, and shows, and see where that goes.  Super good advice and pointers, and documentation.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:19:49 PM by Super Dave Osbourne »

Offline stub

• AE Type 14 A
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:24:51 PM »
 Super Dave Osbourne,
                                Here's a pic of mine .   stub       left click on pic to enlarge
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:26:32 PM by stub »
Kenneth Stubblefield        
  CRPF
   TCI

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to pull the cotter and the parts off to show me.  I'll keep looking for my missing E1 and E2.  I have some requests out to a couple of businesses that sell these parts.  Interestingly, to have these parts delivered from one source is as much as I paid to have the entire thing delivered to start with.  Note to self, and a lesson learned.  Do more homework on exactly what I'm buying in the future.  :)