News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 Toronto Phone Book

Started by ....., July 15, 2015, 02:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this 1937 Toronto Telephone Book locally. They wanted $50.00, I offered $20.00 They settled for $30.00. It is a really interesting read.   

19and41

I love old phone books.  City directories run a close second.  They are a time capsule of the year they were printed. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

It can also be a way to see which businesses have stood the test of time by comparing them to a new directory.

Quote from: 19and41 on July 15, 2015, 02:34:43 PM
They are a time capsule of the year they were printed.

Yes they are. A couple more pictures. Molson Brewery's is still around, but Northern Electric is not.

19and41

The auto dealer ads are usually interesting, comparing the number of makes to those left now.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

NorthernElectric

Cool find Doug.  I especially like the Eaton's page.  As a kid in the 60s, I remember making annual pilgrimages to shop there, at  the main store, annex, and College street, probably shortly before school started in the fall.  Later in life, I worked at the College street building.  My office was actually in an adjoining office tower that was added to the back of the Eaton's building to form College Park, but I got there by way of the old store either from the subway, the underground concourse on crappy days, or the revolving doors off Yonge Street on nice days.
Cliff

DNO

Nice find!  I'd love to run across one of those...lots of relatives in them!
David

Quote from: DNO on July 16, 2015, 10:19:37 AM
Nice find!  I'd love to run across one of those...lots of relatives in them!

Send me some names and I'll see if I can find them. If I do I'll take a picture of the page and send it to you.
Here are some ads with phones in the ad.
And for us Canadian Tire Corp. fans, They went all out with their advertising budget on this one compared with their advertising of today.
One for a gentlemen's club.