News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Northern Electric first

Started by bingster, September 08, 2009, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Back when Americans were stuck with phones tethered to the wall by wires, the Canadians were enjoying the world's first cordless phones:

= DARRIN =

McHeath

Oooookkkkkayyyyy...

I'd like to see under the hood on this puppy. 

Dan

Here's a stromberg Carlson for my wife--all talk and no listening!

http://tinyurl.com/kjer8f
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

In my curiosity I wrote the seller and asked for a picture of the insides. But to really be period-authentic, shouldn't the antenna be twin "rabbit ears". ;)
-Matt

JorgeAmely

Bingster:

You didn't know about this model? The 500 AM?

You raise the antenna, flip the switch to turn it on, and use the rotary to dial the frequency of the radio station you want to listen to.

;D ;D ;D

Jorge

bingster

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 08, 2009, 10:33:44 PM
Bingster:

You didn't know about this model? The 500 AM?

You raise the antenna, flip the switch to turn it on, and use the rotary to dial the frequency of the radio station you want to listen to.

;D ;D ;D

Heyyyyy... I bet that's possible with a little work!  I need to look into that. 8)
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

The seller wrote me back to say that she opened up the phone and found out that the antenna is a "dummy". No big surprise there, I guess, though I was kind of hoping for something more intriguing; like one of Heath's NORAD phone theories or something...Oh well. ;)
-Matt