News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Have 5302 with GF handset I didn't recognize..

Started by RotoTech99, August 21, 2015, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have a WE 5302 with GF handset that came from a Independent Telephone Co.  that I didn't initially regognize..

I have attached some photos below..

I apologize for the photo quality, I am not terribly good with using my phone's camera..

I have a couple more photos I can post by request as well.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 21, 2015, 10:32:28 AM
I have a WE 5302 with GF handset that came from a Independent Telephone Co.  that I didn't initially regognize..

I have attached some photos below..

I apologize for the photo quality, I am not terribly good with using my phone's camera..

I have a couple more photos I can post by request as well.

The GF handset was an option for the 5302.  As you see it has the same shape and size as the G1 handset on the 500 sets, but accepts the old-style transmitter and receiver elements of the 302 sets, which are optimized to be used with the old 101A induction coil in this telephone.  So, electrically this set is still identical to the 302, but has the new styling of the 500 sets.  In addition, the GF handset had higher efficiency from its geometry, the transmitter being closer to the speakers mouth.  This provided about 5 dB improvement, ca. half of the overall gain of the G1 handset.

The 5302 and companions were available with four different handsets.  Initially the traditional F1, and F4 (with 500-style elements), a normal G1, and the GF, added last to the options.  Which one was used depended on the local transmission zoning and customer style preference.

RotoTech99

Well, I definitely like it, it's the first I came across in a WE set... I had a SC set that had the adapters as well at one one time, but I don't recall where it went..

This set originated out of Bristol, TN according to it's number card.

unbeldi

What is the type mark on your GF handset?  The picture isn't good enough to identify.

The GF handsets I have, are all marked G1, but I think I have heard that some are also marked GF.
The receiver and transmitter caps should be marked H and F, in the center.

RotoTech99

The handset reads "Western Electric, Made in U.S.A., G1."

The F1 Transmitter was dated June, 1950. The transmitter cap has a "F" in the center. It also has a small ring around the bottom of the transmitter cap that appears to be molded into the cap, not a separate piece. it fits pretty snug into the cap.

The rear housing reads "Western Electric" (No "Bell System" marks). I did not see any date or codings on it.

There was a date of 6/13/46 on the HA1 receiver, the adapter for it has "H4" embossed onto it.

poplar1

If I recall correctly, the adapter inside the "F" cap screws in after the transmitter is placed in the cap.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Do you know if anyone has a picture of the adapter and transmitter  and transmitter cap separated so I can see how they go together?

If that's what the ring is on my GF transmitter cap, it's on there snug, and I don't want to ruin it trying to figure how it comes out.

poplar1

Discussed here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3412.msg45264#msg45264
Gary,

There is a trick to removing the transmitter capsule.  It has been discussed here before.  The transmitter cap is actually made of two parts.  The small inner ring is threaded on both its inner and outer sides and screws into the outer cap, holding the capsule in place.  You need to remove the inner ring to remove the capsule, and removing that ring can be tricky.

Larry
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.