News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going on 7 years

Started by McHeath, September 03, 2015, 12:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Looks like the forum is about to celebrate it's seventh birthday!  So do we calculate the forum's age in normal human years or dog years?  I guess that dog years makes us what, 49 or so?

For me a huge highlight of the forum was Dan/Panther's discovery, purchase, and refurbishment in 2010 of the early WE 500 set so well detailed in this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2394.0

We did a party line call on the phone after he got it up and running, quite a few of the forum members were present and it was very exciting to get to be part of that history making moment.

What memories or moments in the forum's history stand out for you?

JorgeAmely

I always remember fondly when finlover would show his latest finds.
Jorge

WEBellSystemChristian

Man, as much as I wish I were with you guys the whole nine yards (in this case the whole seven years... ::) ) I only became interested in phones in the early Summer of 2013, and joined this great forum in early August of that year. However, I get bored easily in real life, and I have read every topic ever posted here, so I can still relate to the forum's Early Birds in terms of past members/events.

One of my favorite reccurring topics that stands out to me more recently was when DavePEI was updating Prince Edward Island's ESS (Extreme Snow Status) early this spring! Funny how that snow stayed until almost early Summer! :D

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14102.0

Dan's '48 field trial 500 topic was just about my favorite moment; it was actually the first topic on this forum that I read completely! I really wish we could do another party call, if anyone ever finds/restores another historic milestone set. If we ever do, I'm using my pieced-together field trial 302, if I get it to work by then...

I guess now is as good a time as any to look back on how awkward I was when I first joined! I'm so embarassed about some of the stuff I've posted in the past that I refuse to re-read any topics originating in late 2013, for fear that one of my brilliant, quote-worthy comments will be hiding in it! :o Sorry for having you guys put up with me all these years! :-[ Thanks so much for being such a great group!!! I plan to stay for many, many years to come!! ;) :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on September 03, 2015, 12:32:50 AM

Two others stand out: 

The discovery of a 49-500 at the Seattle Communication Museum: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0

The discovery of a 1965 Mod 1 Picturephone in Mo's Dad's attic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7975.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Happy birthday to us!

I joined about 8 months after the beginning, and haven't looked back.  Great place to be.  I also think the Dan/Panther thread has been the grand-daddy of posts here.  The thing that I thought was great is that not only did a great many of us participate in the thread, but many of us turned to doing a lot of research into the very early 500 model phone.  For me it was an education into understanding the specific goals Bell Labs was seeking when they developed the phone.  Self-compensation; volume increases due to improved handset design and improved receiver and transmitter element design; improved and flatter frequency response; improved dial pulsing; improved and more harmonious sounding ringer; ringer volume adjustment, and the list goes on. 

That thread really made a difference to me in understanding what a vast difference there was in the new design.  Even the fact that the 500 used new capacitor technology that came from research done by Germany during WWII.  Smaller capacitors meant being able to achieve the network design in a much smaller space than would not otherwise be possible.

I am further impressed with the unique level of politeness and respect that is prevalent here.  I have been to other special interest forums on the Internet and they are full of rudeness and snarky comments.  This group has proven time and time again to be pleasant even when there are occasional differences of opinion.  Here, you can ask a question and not get jumped on for simply asking.

I am also impressed with the vast knowledge and background of some of the "heavy-hitters" that have joined over the years.  We really seem to have a great thing here.

There have been many great posts here over the 7 years!  People have come and gone, and some incredilble posts have been made.  I think I'll stick around.

<edit:>  I just thought of another thing.  That is that we have an international group here.  That very fact has expanded my knowledge of phones and phone company practices from other parts of the world.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on September 03, 2015, 01:01:05 AM
Quote from: McHeath on September 03, 2015, 12:32:50 AM

Two others stand out: 

The discovery of a 49-500 at the Seattle Communication Museum: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0

The discovery of a 1965 Mod 1 Picturephone in Mo's Dad's attic: 1965 Mod 1 Picturephone: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7975.0

Both very good examples.  I certainly remember the Seattle discovery!  :)
-Bill G

RotarDad

Perhaps we can encourage Dennis to update the forum banner to show 7 years?  Unless the plan is to only update on the "big" anniversaries : 5, 10, etc....  I too rank D/P's field trial 500 thread among the best.  He not only did an excellent job on the restoration, he reported on it in a way that seemed to involve and energize everyone.  I know I've learned a huge amount here over the years.  The combination of knowledge and willingness to share on this forum can't be beat!
Paul

TelePlay

For those interested, here is the activity on the forum during the first two weeks of its beginning on September 3, 2008. That would be exactly 7 years ago today.

19and41

Congratulations everyone!  I see the forum and I share the same birthdate.  That'll make it easy to remember.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

Quote from: 19and41 on September 03, 2015, 02:57:53 PM
Congratulations everyone!  I see the forum and I share the same birthdate.  That'll make it easy to remember.

19&41, Dang sure glad you're here! You do seem rather experienced, and sagacious for one only 7 years old, though. Hmmmm... ;)

Upon this anniversary of the forum, I would foremost like to express my undying gratitude to Dennis Markham, who made a place for us here on the web.

I am honored, and humbled by being allowed to join, and remain here, amongst you all.

I have made many good friends, all over this big blue marble, and gained invaluable insight, knowledge, and experience from the amassed knowledge here, both posted, and waiting in the wings for my next stupid question. ::)

It seems like have I perused quadrillions of googlebytes of information here, both posted, and referred to by link, yet there is so much I still don't know, and new things posted each and every day to keep my mind engaged.

It's extremely difficult to find intelligent, rational, intellectual people nowadays, much less a group of them that can carry on a mutual discussion with any perceived degree of civility....

Happy Anniversary, to all!

With my very best regards to you, and yours!

Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

Sorry about that, mine is 1956, not 2008.  :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Here, Here, Bones. Well said and I agree whole heartedly!
I always say, this is the best forum on the net, everytime I peruse another forum that sentiment just gets reinforced.
Thanks to Dennis and everyone here!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRPF ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

. . . and what's a Birthday without a cake . . .   ( and we're going to need a larger one next year! )

Phonesrfun

Hmmm...  Kinda gives the term candlestick phone a new meaning.  Birthday cake candles that is.

Notice that the candlesticks are strategically placed where a <gasp> *lamp socket* might be located.
-Bill G

andre_janew

I haven't been here that long, but I have learned a lot since I have been here.  I've had some help with with phone problems and also learned a bit about telephone history.  This is a very informative forum!