Author Topic: I finally Nabbed One! SP Lt Beige 500  (Read 2033 times)

Offline WEBellSystemChristian

• Grandpa's 1955 Western Electric 500
I finally Nabbed One! SP Lt Beige 500
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
I think every WE500 collector underestimates the rarity of Soft Plastic Light Beige 500 sets. I have had maybe five or six misses when it came to finding this color. The most recent was just over a year ago when I saw a 1958 version listed for $39 BiN on eBay. I tried to get it, but Dennis Markham ended up getting it before me!

Well, I finally found one! Listed for $49.99 BiN today on eBay, I managed to get it before anyone else did! It appears to be original, except, sadly, for the modular line cord. I can't remember the last time I've seen one as early as 1957, either!

There is a bit of staining on the sides, but that should be removed with peroxide! The 'staining' was actually just a reflection of the cord; seems to be very even color otherwise!

Not bad for $49 plus $17 shipping! I'm glad that I can finally cross this one off my list!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291557045572
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:22:51 PM by TelePlay »
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Offline jsowers

Re: I finally Nabbed One! SP Lt Beige 500
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
It's a beauty, Christian. Looks to be in very good shape, even on the bottom. I hope you have a surprise card lurking behind the one we see. It looks like it was worth the wait, and yes light beige in soft plastic is often hard to find. Was it $39 or $49? It's an early one too, with 1957 being the year of introduction. Good luck finding the mounting cord. You can just leave it cordless for the time being.
Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
Thanks! It was $49, my typo! The one Dennis got a year ago was $39, but came to him in a mailing envelope!! I think If I did end up getting his phone from the listing, it would have been smashed during transit, with my luck! I messaged the seller on proper packing, so hopefully it arrives in good shape, albeit a very short trip from Chicago. We'll have to see... :)

I would be very happy to have a nice original card under the newer, exposed one. I'm getting tired of printing the only 3 high-resolution non-black cards available on Telephone Archive!! >:(

Here was Dennis' phone. It was posted in 'Bad Packing Awards':
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:33:15 PM by WEBellSystemChristian »
Christian Petterson

Offline LarryInMichigan

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
Nice phone!  Although I never liked light beige, I did have to get a soft plastic one for my collection a year or two ago.  They are not so common since they were only made for a few years.  I actually have two now since I bought a very dirty one at the flea market a few weeks ago for $3.

Larry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to respond with 'after' shots. I actually had this cleaned up the night I got it. All dates match to 8-57!

I consider this to be in factory condition; not flawlessly shiny, but not in 'as found' condition. This was only lightly polished and the cord was recoiled, plus a dial card swap. It's sure in nice shape!!
Christian Petterson

Offline DiaLen

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »
Nice Christian!
Looks like you got one of those "always sat on the nightstand up in my parents bedroom" phones and brought it back to like-new condition.
Good pickup.
-Len
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

Offline Dennis Markham

• VintageRotaryPhones.com
  • Administrator
    • VintageRotaryPhones.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
CHRISTIAN, very nice soft plastic phone.  On my monitor the handset caps appear slightly darker.  For some reason those caps on the Light Beige tend to darken.  I have a late-model one from May of 1959 and the caps are a tad bit darker than the handset.

Nice refurb and I like that dial card. 

~Dennis

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Dennis, the caps are slightly darker than the handset, but the caps match the bezel and the housing matches the handset in color. I think it may have something to do with facial oils over time.

CHRISTIAN
Nice touch, Dennis, nice touch... ;D
Christian Petterson