Author Topic: Never seen a rotary dial like this one.  (Read 5394 times)

Offline N7LTH

Re: Never seen a rotary dial like this one.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
Well, I took the mystery phone to my workbench and removed the base... yep, it's a bleep-blank-censored FrankenPhone. Ten pulses from an 11-hole dial, among other things...

Oh, well- you live and learn :) such is life.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

Offline Jack Ryan

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »
Oh, well- you live and learn

Exactly, so the phone was a good investment!

Jack

I agree with Jack, ANYTIME you find an oddity, it's good investment.

D/P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:41:25 PM by Dan/Panther »

Offline N7LTH

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »

Exactly, so the phone was a good investment!

Jack

In that regard, it certainly was. I can also cannibalize it if need be for future phones in my collection.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

Offline WEBellSystemChristian

• Grandpa's 1955 Western Electric 500
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »
It's also an example of what extents a modern refurbishing house will go to in order to create a phone. It isn't a cheap quarter-pound hunk of plastic made in China, it uses old parts, and any repro parts on it are closely replicated from the real thing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Offline Owain

• Consider Your Colour Scheme (M C James for GPO)
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
I don't know how it made it to the UK, but there's a Collins Autotune dial on Ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-Rare-11-Position-Telephone-Dial-For-Collins-Autotune-Radio-Transmitter/183375851248

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:36:56 PM by TelePlay »

Online Jim S.

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »
I don't know how it made it to the UK, but there's a Collins Autotune dial on Ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-Rare-11-Position-Telephone-Dial-For-Collins-Autotune-Radio-Transmitter/183375851248

I have a collins autotune set. It looks like a metal WE 302'. It has the same dial. There is a a metal plate riveted to the bottom. It had a "F# PTT handset w/ collins aropund the bezel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISTR that these had to do with early radio-telephony for a truckers network. The "A" dialed you into a private radio network. ISTR This network ran along East/West Highways. It may of become affiliated with MCI. I could be totally wrong as well.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
I have an AE dial like this with the A on a tele-chec Phone....Doug
Kidphone

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
Question for Paul.

On the other thread I made a comment, that possibly if you dial, and hold the unmarked hole, might create a mute situation, can you comment on that ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • Available by PM
    • . . . the times they been a'changing
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
     Regular Member Post

The eBay listing has an image of the dial's back side (first image below). The company name on the dial is "Telephonics." A google search turned up the company web site

https://www.telephonics.com/

has a link to their "visual" 80 year history in a pdf brochure

https://www.telephonics.com/uploads/standard/TelephonicsA-Visual-History.pdf

(which has been attached here) and within that brochure it shows a dial made in the 1950 similar to the dial listed on eBay with not much about the dial, red box on the second image below.

Function and/or application(s) of the dial was not found, might have missed it. However, if you look through the historical brochure, it's interesting to see how the company changed over the years to keep up with technology. There current product line is impressive in application.
            John . . .

Offline rdelius

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:51 PM »
Many if not all TP 6A sets have Telephonics dials. Most parts will interchange with AE.Collins made many autotune radios for the military. The transmitter could be in a remote location and could change to preset channels and be tuned to the antenna.