Author Topic: Severly damaged Ivory 302 housing  (Read 1121 times)

Offline markosjal

Re: Severly damaged Ivory 302 housing
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 05:32:56 AM »
it seems to me that this happened from sun damage. some had this phone in a room where the sun hit the phone directly and ruined it.... either that, or heat damage from a fire possibly... or just being in storage in a area with no temperature control...

sitting next to a fireplace or wood stove for 20 years might do it.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 05:55:03 AM »
What are these phones made from? Different plastics react differently to the conditions around them. Our UK phones made from ABS discolour just like this (although I've never seen one crack or warp), but if you get an early one made from 'Diakon' it's still totally colour stable 50+ years down the line.

In this case, although the handset body also shows signs of discoloring, the damaged cap is far worse. For that reason I'd say they are probably the same material but were not together when the damage occurred. My guess is it's made up out of all the worst bits someone had to cobble together a complete phone and try to get some money back for it.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
This is a long overdue update. I bought this phone out of curiosity in August 2016. Some of you might remember it when listed on eBay. Opened it up last night after staring at it on my back shelf for 15 months.

It does seem to have been exposed to high heat (but not flames )which damaged the front left of the housing and the transmitter cap which due to facing downward took most of the heat. The heavily damaged corner of the housing is quite brittle.

The cap came off in one piece by simply spreading the crack to break it free from the threads and it simply unscrewed at that point.

The housing was stuck on but came off quite easily using Doug's screwdriver in the back mouse hole leverage technique.

The housing was shrunk around the dial be could only shrink until tight so strategic blows to the inside (back) of the dial got it out. The dial is clean and operates well.

The H1 housing was stamped '52. The dial is a '52 5J locking 3 part finger wheel (which was lost in the heat - the paper and plastic from the number card was stuck onto the retaining nut in the shape of the nut as if painted on).

The inside of the transmitter cap did not show color change. The inside of the handset is a very nice light ivory. The receiver cap is is great shape. The elements are undamaged. The handset is stamped 32.

The dial, except for the missing finger wheel is in near NOS condition, very clean working well. The hook switch is also near NOS. The clear plungers are undamaged.

The fine weave ivory handset and line cords other than being a bit dirty are undamaged. The rubber coated leads are not brittle. All restraints are clean and the dates are clear.

The base, both the bottom and the inside, are NOS. Very clean, unmarked and undamaged in any way. All wires are clean, intact and original. The feet are like new.

Other than the heat damage, I'd say this phone looks like it was never used. Much of it looks like it might have just been taken out of its shipping box.

Paid just under $42 total for this "phone." I think it was a good deal for the parts not heat damaged.

Now the question becomes, what to do with it? Several options to consider.
            John . . .

Online AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
"It'll buff out"..... ;)

Problem solved!

Remember the Orchid 40. You can likely make a jig, heat the housing and force it back close to straight again. But, due to the discolouration and replacement parts required, maybe it just isn’t worth it.

A thought...like your picture “302 opened up and bottom”, make a display mount showing the inside and the base in a similar manner.

Terry