Author Topic: E1 Handset Evolution  (Read 389 times)

Offline tekuhn

E1 Handset Evolution
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
I am working on restoring a D1/202 with an E1 handset. I have accumulated 4 E1 handsets with parts I've purchased and see a fair amount of variation in the components used. Can someone point me to an existing thread on the evolution of the components used in this handset? If not, I will post my findings and ask questions here.

#1 - My earliest E1 contained a receiver module that is inkstamped in red with 557 and 328 around the rim. Pretty sure that means the model is 557 and the date is 3/28. The magnet assembly is also inkstamped red with several patent dates, but nothing is stamped in the metal. The transmitter module is a one-piece unit with a bullet-shaped bakelite waveguide. It is inkstamped on the smooth section between the 2 threaded sections with 1/33 in blue and 4/36 M in red. The body is missing the "seam" and the logo box in the center of the grip contains 9 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#2 - My second oldest E1 has a receiver module that is inkstamped 557 B and I 34, but has the patent information stamped in the metal base. The transmitter module is the same as #1 above with only a single red date of 7/34. This body is also "seamless", but the logo in the center of the grip handle contains much less information with only 5 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#3 - Third oldest has receiver module identical to #2 only marked 557 B and II 35. The transmitter on this E1 is the newer 3-piece style consisting of the adapter which is inkstamped in red with 625 A. This holds an F1 transmitter element and then there is a perforated bakelite cover over the element before the spitcup cover is screwed on. The main body has a seam running all the way around and the logo consists of 5 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#4 - The newest of these units is basically like #3 only the 625 A adapter has a curved outer spring contact instead of a straight one. It has a black plastic insulated cord.

Just curious if my units and observations are typical and looking for any other information on the E1 that might be helpful to a restoration. Thanks!

Re: E1 Handset Evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
This article, and its whole thread in other places, contains E1 information in the middle of the post under "Handset for B and D-type mountings."

With some searching you will also find other posts in various places that show some of the features of E1 handsets.

The earliest versions are indeed those with the 9-line inscription.  The linked article lists the various other types.