News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Mystery Of the 29A Lock History and Investigation Single Slot Upper Lock W/E

Started by Payphone installer, December 30, 2016, 05:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGnG

Payphone installer

Dick Pitzer was the maker of the keys and the decoder. He can cut any key from a blank. He also has steel blanks.

MacGnG

Quote from: andre_janew on January 16, 2017, 12:12:03 PM
Nowadays most locksmiths won't cut steel blanks.

You should say: Nowadays many locksmiths choose not to cut steel blanks. ... (or can't or don't know how to)

ive never been to a real lock shop that wouldnt cut a steel blank, but they are $$$$

rdelius

MacGnG

you are correct, thats why are special steel cutting wheels and why locksmiths charge so much to cut things like safe deposit keys

andre_janew

The last time I went to a locksmith to get a steel key cut (it was for a Slaymaker padlock) I was told that I had to contact the manufacturer and give them the key number so they could make an extra key for it.  I was also told it would be cheaper to get a new lock than to get a key made.

Key2871

I realise this is an old post, but was wondering why some states are not listed.
We're these lock's distributed by region?
And not necessarily by state?
I was just courious.
I remember conversations with Paul Vaverchak about how he knew most locks by number but never gave locks or keys for anyones area to avoid theft issues.
KEN

MacGnG

Does anyone have pictures or specifics about the key decoder? Thanks

Payphone installer

There are addition pages to the page you see at the beginning of this post.Those pages explain how to cut the codes with a drawing, and also pages with codes. As far as I know nobody else has those pages. I do not intend to release those pages until at some point I stop cutting the keys. Since this was originally posted Pitzer retired from cutting the keys and I took over. I generally only cut the keys in brass but do have a machine and ability to cut them in steel and do have steel blanks. Yes it is expensive as it takes a lot of time to get right. Certain keys cuts are much harder then others. As for the reason they are no listed by state,how could they be? The Bell system was not in every state. The Bell System was in regions. You determine the location by the area code and exchange. So if it was a Ohio Bell Telephone then you look up the area code and exchange and apply the list by the nearest big city on the list. It has nothing to do with state,it is the LEC foot print. The investment in the blanks has already exceeded the 16,000.00 mark as since this was printed I had blanks made to cut 21B,10G and 29S which are the same blank as 29A.  All these are available on eBay.

Key2871

After I read the above posts and knowing Bell company's were in regions, I figured a lot out about what key was used in my region.
This is great information to have preserved. The lock I have with a key I found out is from Illinois. Because when I got the key and lock from Paul, he claimed he knew where my region was but wouldn't give me a lock and key from my region because payphones were still in use, (this was many years ago)so he didn't want anyone to have a key to anything in their area, so he gave something for miles away. And still wouldn't tell what area region they were used.
KEN