Author Topic: The Mystery Of the 29A Lock History and Investigation Single Slot Upper Lock W/E  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Payphone installer

Are they brass or steel?

Offline MacGnG

They look a light brass color, don't look the same as steel blanks

Offline Payphone installer

Dick Pitzer was the maker of the keys and the decoder. He can cut any key from a blank. He also has steel blanks.

Offline andre_janew

Nowadays most locksmiths won't cut steel blanks.

Offline MacGnG

Nowadays most locksmiths won't cut steel blanks.

You should say: Nowadays many locksmiths choose not to cut steel blanks. ... (or can't or don't know how to)

ive never been to a real lock shop that wouldnt cut a steel blank, but they are $$$$

Offline rdelius

steel blanks are tough on expensive cutting wheels

Offline MacGnG

you are correct, thats why are special steel cutting wheels and why locksmiths charge so much to cut things like safe deposit keys

Offline andre_janew

The last time I went to a locksmith to get a steel key cut (it was for a Slaymaker padlock) I was told that I had to contact the manufacturer and give them the key number so they could make an extra key for it.  I was also told it would be cheaper to get a new lock than to get a key made.

Offline Key2871

I realise this is an old post, but was wondering why some states are not listed.
We're these lock's distributed by region?
And not necessarily by state?
 I was just courious.
I remember conversations with Paul Vaverchak about how he knew most locks by number but never gave locks or keys for anyones area to avoid theft issues.
KEN

Offline MacGnG

Does anyone have pictures or specifics about the key decoder? Thanks