Author Topic: WE/American Bell 295a subset  (Read 680 times)

Offline Pourme

• One Ringy Dingy, Two Ringy Dingys...
  • Benny's Fatboy
WE/American Bell 295a subset
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »
I purchased a most interesting piece on EBAY (http://tinyurl.com/lso3uen)  and it arrived today. I was the only bidder at $25.00 + $22.00 shipping. I intend to use it with my 20al I purchased from SargeGuy. During the auction, I wasn't sure exactly what I was bidding on because of the lack of pictures and information. I did a lot of research and thought it may be a 289c. The markings on the side, not shown in the EBAY pictures clearly shows it's a 295a.
If you look at my pictures you may agree that it was born a telephone and not a subset. There are still screws on the front that have been cut off, a hole in the side covered with two pieces of metal, and the label inside the door has another label under it.  The model (Type) information on the side has been changed as well.

There is even a pat date on the hinge, 1886. All said I am extremely pleased with the purchase! I plan to use some of the techniques explored and detailed by TelePlay when he restored a similar piece earlier. http://tinyurl.com/mbcuzku

I will take pictures and ask advice often.

Please look at the pictures and share your thoughts, I could be wrong on my assumptions.

Benny
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:58:11 PM by Pourme »
Benny

The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline Pourme

• Benny's Fatboy
Re: WE 295a subset
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
More pictures:
Benny

Offline Jim S.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »
Nice find. It is an  " American Bell" telephone, ISTR American Bell is 1880 and ran for about 20 years. I think it is a find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline poplar1

• 102C-6 = "Old Brass" Hand Telephone Set
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
It started out as a Type 124-A Wall Set before being converted to a 295-A subset. Note the "O" inside a box stamped on the back; that's the letter code for the WE repair shop location (still not identified).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9359.msg100322#msg100322
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline Pourme

• Benny's Fatboy
Re: WE/American Bell 295a subset
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
That fits, exactly....The marks on the side that plainly read "type", then the rest has been obscured looks like the last letter is "A" .... the box matches too. Thanks for that information.
Benny

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
I saw that phone, it would make a good restoration project.  All you really need is the switch, hook, receiver and transmitter assemblies.  I was tempted to bid but I already have a wall full of WE compact wooden phones and not enough time to work on them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Offline Pourme

• Benny's Fatboy
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
I saw that phone, it would make a good restoration project.  All you really need is the switch, hook, receiver and transmitter assemblies.  I was tempted to bid but I already have a wall full of WE compact wooden phones and not enough time to work on them.

Glad you didn't, Greg....I didn't need the competition!... I'm going to restore it as a subset & use it with the stick that I go from you....
Benny

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
Probably a good idea, come to think of it.  The reason I have so many wall phones is that they can be found fairly cheap.  The parts need for a proper restoration would be fairly pricey if bought separately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409