Author Topic: Name for this AE wooden 1970s(?) set?  (Read 393 times)

Offline markosjal

Name for this AE wooden 1970s(?) set?
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:50:35 AM »
Looking for a name for this set I bought on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Fashion-Style-Oak-Automatic-Electric-GTE-Rotary-Dial-Phone-Telephone-/152535340907

I will need to restore the dial it looks rusty as well as the (decorative?) Gongs. Never had seen one like it

Mark
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:03:51 PM by TelePlay »
Phat Phantom's phone phettish

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
Re: Name for this AE wooden 1970s(?) set?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
Someone who has finish woodworking down to a science did a nice job on this phone. A very nice job of crafting that wood into what is shown.

It looks like the gongs may be turned wood (decorative only - with no clapper) and the ringer is still the one that came on the AE wall phone which is the heart of this phone, still.

One thing I'd do is replace the 4 front Phillips headed screws with round headed slotted screws, brass or other - which ever looks best.

Nice looking and interesting phone and the price was right.
            John . . .

Offline markosjal

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
I would be interested in hearing if there is another opinion on this. Looks almost too perfect to not be a standard model .  I doubt it is something like an ATC or Decotel because that AE mounting plate is well formed into the design.

Offline Jim S.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
I would say a nice homemade set or possibly made by Paul Nelson Industries or a similar company. If it was made by a company you may be able to find it in some of the consumer catalogs or TAB books. I doubt if AE created it.
Just my opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline markosjal

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »
I was told by another collector (off this forum)  that AE , in an effort to get rid of old stock, created phones like this. Anyone know if there is any merit to that?

On this particular phone someone went through a lot of trouble to integrate the AE mounting plate . Had it been a home made job seems they would have used the WE rectangular plate.

Also noteworthy is the ITT marking on the mounting plate with REN. Is there any possibility this was an ITT own-a-phone?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:55:07 PM by markosjal »