Author Topic: Red AE 50 Auction, Looks 100% Original, BEAUTIFUL Condition  (Read 1092 times)

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • Character is Fate
    • . . . the times they been a'changing
Re: Red AE 50 Auction, Looks 100% Original, BEAUTIFUL Condition
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Sold for $886 with 9 bidders and 4 snipes, all placed with exactly 4 seconds to go.

Don't know who bid or who one. Seller had it set up as a private listing.
            John . . .

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
Eventually.  I don't have the time now.
Alex.....find time yet....love to see them.....Doug
Kidphone

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 11:57:55 PM »
I thought the low-Z ringer found in this set is one of the kind that appeared in the mid-1950s, which I thought were intended as replacement in 34A3 sets.  There is another type for the 40/50 series.

Oh sorry, I didn't even look at the pictures as I was away from my computer.

Terry

Offline Jon Kolger

• Blue AE Type 34
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
I appreciate all the attention that this telephone has garnered.  If you haven't noticed yet, I have another really nice AE 50 on right now.  I am on the forum, but I keep a pretty low profile.  I only check in every few days or so.  I am constantly amazed by all the knowledge you guys have about these phones.  I never would have noticed anything different about that ringer.  To me, these phones are like pieces of art.  I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the technical details unless something is really amiss.

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »
And these are Jon's extra phones. He is the King of Colors.....Doug
Kidphone

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • Character is Fate
    • . . . the times they been a'changing
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
If you haven't noticed yet, I have another really nice AE 50 on right now.

Jon,

Some of us noticed . . .  ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18306.0

Feel free to take a guess. Most seller's guess $1 gazillion dollars on their listed phones. Actually, most seller's don't guess for obvious reasons.

That is a very nice Nile Green AE 50.
            John . . .

unbeldi

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
I was surprised that this nile green set had such an old dial.

The ringer in this set is the same type as that installed in the Jon's red set, low-impedance but this time it is for 20 Hz frequency-selective ringing, so it should work on today's telephone lines.   This type of ringer,  D-56465-y, was supplied only separately as a parts kit, without gongs and without the mounting bracket.  I wasn't aware before the display of these two sets, that these ringers were also used in the Type 50 wall sets.  I was under the impression that they were only for replacement in 34A3 sets, so I am glad we got the detailed internal pictures from Jon.

The original ringer of this telephone, from the factory, was a straight-line high-impedance ringer.

I also found it interesting to note the type number of this set, L-5114.  I don't think I had seen a 5114 type before, I had my list only up to 5113, which was a Jade Green set.   From this, it is possible that the colored sets in the mid-1950s had special order numbers, in addition to the letter specifier for the color, which is J for Nile Green, as shown in the stamp on the rear of the set:   L5114 DSL J  NX-4

It is a bit hard to read the printing on the wiring diagram, but I seem to detect that it states  L5114 B SL.    This would explain the old dial, if the set was originally a manual telephone.  This is contradicted however, by the "D" in the type stamp on the rear.

PS:   I am moving this reply to the thread for the green set, already referenced.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:34:13 AM by unbeldi »